Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Adam 2 posts 22 karma points
    Aug 01, 2011 @ 12:08
    Adam

File Storage in DB

Hi all,

Had a quick search, but couldn't find any current discussions on this subject.

We're considering rolling out Umbraco across our platform. We have multiple servers on a load balanced system. 

We're looking into possible ways of file management (Website assets etc), I've looked at the guide on setting up Umbraco on a load bananced system, and have considered it's options of file replication or NAS/San/Clustered File Server.

Our infrastucture guy has asked if it's possible to store the assets in the DB. Does anyone know if this is possible within Umbraco, or if there would be any reason not to do this?

Thanks in advance,

Adam

• Drew 165 posts 340 karma points
    Aug 01, 2011 @ 13:22
    Drew

Usually storing any type of asset in a DB is a big no-no in terms of performance (despite what DBA's may tell you!). This is especially true if you have either a high volume of assets (in quantity and file size) and/or a high number of users.

I always avoid it at all costs, since you don't "need" the overhead of having to serialise and deserialise the files in/out of the DB.

In the past, for simple asset management across two or three servers I've just mirrored the assets on the file system directly using a scheduled process.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15478 karma points MVP admin hq
    Aug 01, 2011 @ 13:30
    Sebastiaan Janssen

I would definitely avoid this as well, not only is it a big project to change the whole media architecture for your needs, it also is a real stress on the database and database access is not currently Umbraco's strongest selling point.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft