Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Scott Robinson 54 posts 75 karma points
    Aug 11, 2011 @ 18:32
    Scott Robinson

Creating content once to appear in multiple locations

Hi,

We created a multi-language corporate website with Umbraco at the begining of this year and it's time to review our next steps.

I do a lot of development with Joomla and it has one feature which I really love. I wonder how this could be created with umbraco. I'm going to strip out the joomla terminology as it may be confusing

1. Within a template I have a number of empty location (a,b,c,d) where content could appear.

2. I create my pages in a traditional umbraco way. They appear without anything displayed in a.b.c.d

3. I create a piece of content with a new document type. This allow me the define

a) the actual content that is show front-end

b) which location it would appear a,b,c,d

c) On which pages this content would appear (basically a full lit of all site page)

The reason this is so useful is that I can display a piece of content across 20 page by only making a change to one thing as opposed to 20 page.

Our current umbraco site doesn't work like this at all. Is this something Umbraco could do or is there a better more Umbracoesque alternative that would make more sense.

Thanks for any help offered.

Scott

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Aug 11, 2011 @ 21:02
    Dirk De Grave

Hi Scott,

I don't see why umbraco wouldn't be able to handle such situations. If I understand correctly, you'd like to have "pieces of content", which aren't exactly documents that need a specified url (or, put otherwise, don't need to have a template attached), but can be reused anywhere in your site? If that's the case, here's a sample config that may help (not necesseraly the best option, consider it a starting point).

-Content
    --Home (site home page...)
    ---Page1
    ---Page2
    ---Folder1
    ----Page3
    --Shared content
    ---Articles
    ----Article1
    ----Article2

Depending on would work best in your case, you could add references to your 'Page' documents from within each 'Article' document, or vice versa, reference several 'Article's content into your 'Page' document, there's a couple of datatypes which can handle those references (uComponents multi tree node picker for example)

Best practice (at least this is what I do most of the times) is to put all of your 'Article's documents (or other types of document that should only hold data) in a "separate" folder, outside of the root of your site structure.

Does that make sense now to you, or did I misunderstand the question.

Cheers,

/Dirk

• Scott Robinson 54 posts 75 karma points
    Aug 12, 2011 @ 00:55
    Scott Robinson

Hi Dirk,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. The best practice you describe is exactly as I would have proceeded. It's good to know it's possible within Umbraco and I'll check out uComponents Multi tree node picker. There is some heated debate here as to how to proceed. I'd like to control position and "what pages the article appears" at the article level, while other (which I think is more traditional) think that it should be controlled on each page, with option to choose what article appear within it. Personally I think the later causes too much work but I just wanted to check I wasn't totally out the ball park with my thought-process.

Thanks again.

Scott

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft