Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Isis 21 posts 42 karma points
    Aug 17, 2011 @ 11:59
    Isis

How to have multiple Umbraco instance login sessions without conflict?

I'm working on two Umbraco sites, and while in one I am using another primarily as a reference for some things - however, every time I log in to one and navigate to where I want to reference, and then proceed to carry something out in the other instance then I am logged out. When I log back in to that one, and navigate somewhere in the other, then I'm in the same position with a different instance again.

This becomes highly irritating when every other navigation is alternated between instance, hence requiring me to log in essentially every time I navigate within the CMS.

Doesn't Umbraco use unique cookie names, or something, that allows for multiple session log ins? 

• Matthew Kirschner 323 posts 611 karma points
    Nov 09, 2017 @ 16:33
    Matthew Kirschner

I'm having this same issue six years later.

• MuirisOG 382 posts 1284 karma points
    Nov 10, 2017 @ 16:10
    MuirisOG

Try using different browsers, i.e. log in using Internet Explorer for site 1 and use Chrome for site 2.

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Nov 11, 2017 @ 13:28
    Dan Diplo

If you don't want to use a different browser, there are a few options:

1. Run a new browser window in incognito mode and have one instance run there
    2. Run them on different domains - you can create a custom domain, add it to Visual Studio and then add it to your hosts file
  • Tristan Thompson 3 posts 73 karma points c-trib
    May 30, 2018 @ 21:14
    Tristan Thompson

I've just been having a look at the source and it looks like there's an setting that lets you change the name of the cookie that the Umbraco back office uses for authentication.

By default, the cookie is called UMB_UCONTEXT, however, you can rename it in the ~/config/umbracoSettings.config file

Within the settings file, add a new node to the <security /> section:

<security>
        <authCookieName>YourNewCookieNameHere</authCookieName>
    </security>

I've just tried this on a starter kit site and it definitely changes the cookie name so it might work!

Is it possible for you to configure the two Umbraco sites with two different authCookieName values?

• Paul Seal 524 posts 2889 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jun 01, 2018 @ 10:13
    Paul Seal

You could create different profiles in Chrome or Firefox and log in separately in each of these.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft