Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Cavan Arrowsmith 20 posts 42 karma points
    Aug 23, 2011 @ 17:16
    Cavan Arrowsmith

Umbraco on Azure - 0 byte files in Blob Storage

Hi,

I've come across an issue with created folders not synchronising correctly in Azure Storage. When a folder is created in Azure Blob Storage it also creates a 0 byte file by the same name. This causes an issue when copying files to and from storage accounts as errors experienced state that there is already a file by that name.

I'm currently in contact with Microsoft, who are assisting with the folder/file structure but they think it could potentially be a bug with the Umbraco code, although I think they may be clutching at straws.

I am using third party applications such as Cloudberry Explorer and ClumsyLeaf Explorer to view Azure Blob Storage and can see these 0 byte files. Has anyone encountered this before? Would this be part of Umbraco Accelerator's code?

Please see the attached screenshot... Notice the 0 byte files on the left hand column are the same names as the folders.

Regards
    Cavan Arrowsmith

• Chris Randle 67 posts 181 karma points c-trib
    Nov 22, 2011 @ 16:42
    Chris Randle

Hi 

I'm getting the exact same problem.  We still haven't had a resolution to this despite escalating it to Microsoft themselves.  

Have you had an answer?  Are you using the Azure Accelerator for Umbraco (codeplex project)?  How many roles you got on this deployment?

I suspected it might be because of the propagation between the web roles.

This was just confirmed in our case.  Assuming you are indeed running the accelerator, check out approximately line 54 of WebRole.cs.  You'll see a Run override method, like this:

public override void Run()

{

this.SyncForever(TimeSpan.FromSeconds(60));

}

Change the  value.  You'll notice the files only appear after that number of seconds.  Comment it out, and you don't get them!

• Morten Christensen 596 posts 2773 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Dec 01, 2011 @ 13:33
    Morten Christensen

Hi,

I just added a comment to a similar discussion on codeplex - you can read my comment here:
    http://waacceleratorumbraco.codeplex.com/discussions/280411

The code comes from the Uploader-app, which you use to upload a site to blob storage as part of the deployment process in the Windows Azure Accelerator for Umbraco.

- Morten

Dec 02, 2011 @ 19:43
    Morten Christensen

Hi again,

I created a simple console app that'll download your websites from Azure Blob Storage and keep the correct file- and folder structure. Its available for download in the projects section: http://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/azure-website-downloader

Hope you find it usable.

- Morten

• Cavan Arrowsmith 20 posts 42 karma points
    Dec 06, 2011 @ 15:21
    Cavan Arrowsmith

Morten,

This is excellent. It's done the job perfectly. I now have this running as a scheduled task on a backup server which allows us to have a 7 day cycle of website files.

Fantastic job.

Cavan

• Chris Randle 67 posts 181 karma points c-trib
    Dec 22, 2011 @ 11:19
    Chris Randle

Thank you Morten. This does the trick perfectly.

I'm using your application as my backup script for my live site.  Works so nice and simply that I hope you can release the source at some point - or develop into a configurable application (e.g. multiple sites, etc).

Cheers again for your help!

Dec 22, 2011 @ 12:25
    Morten Christensen

Hi Chris,

Good to hear!

The source is actually available -> if you look under the 'Resource' there is a link to a bitbucket repository with the source:
    https://bitbucket.org/sitereactor/azure-website-downloader

- Morten

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft