Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tony Perry 6 posts 27 karma points
    Sep 01, 2011 @ 10:16
    Tony Perry

Empty media tree

Hello All,

Firstly, please forgive the duplicate posting, this is also posted in the "installing umbraco" section but have had no responses from there yet.

Really hoping that someone out there in internet land will be able to help with this one.  We've got a site running Umbraco 4.0.2.0 and unsurprisingly want to upgrade it to 4.7.0.  I've followed the instructions on both the umbraco site (our.umbraco.org/.../upgrading-an-umbraco-installation) and on proworks site (www.proworks.com/.../), and i thought everything had gone fine, right up until i clicked on the media section.  This is appearing blank.  The other tree listings are all working as expected.  Within the users->content channel we are strangly able to browse the media section there, so the media section does work.

I think i have read nearly all of the posts on here about the same issue, but we don;t appear to be experiencing the same symptoms.

I've loaded Fiddler and have looked in the log table, and can see that it is failing with a 500 error on the request for /umbraco/webservices/TreeDataService.ashx?rnd=ef0e8bc17ad143499e0f3274a1c598b8&id=-1&treeType=media&contextMenu=true&isDialog=false&rnd2=41.6.

I've looked in the umbracoTree and umbracoNode tables and there is an entry for both media Recycle and a -21 entries which other people have said has solved their issues.  

We are running Windows 2008, with SQL Server 2008 and IIS 7.5 and .net 4.

Does anyone have any ideas?  No matter how stupid or right wing....willing to try anything at the moment

Thanks

Tony

• Lennart Stoop 304 posts 842 karma points
    Sep 01, 2011 @ 11:16
    Lennart Stoop

Hi Tony,

Which upgrade path did you follow? Did you first upgrade to 4.5.2 or did you upgrade to 4.7 directly?

Also, which .NET framework does the version 4.0.2.0 run on? Perhaps you still need to upgrade some packages or custom code to .NET 4?

Grtz

L

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Sep 01, 2011 @ 11:48
    Rich Green

Hey Tony,

You might find upgrading 4.0.2 to 4.5.2 a path of less resistance as they run the same .NET version.

You could also try removing all dll's from the bin directly and replace them with the entire 4.7 bin directory.

Rich

Sep 01, 2011 @ 12:26
    Tony Perry

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your responses.  

Lennart.  I've gone from 4.0.x -> 4.7 directly.  

Rich.  I've changed the version of the .net framework to run 4 (4.2.x runs .net 2), and took the dll''s from the 4.7 bin directory and dropped them straight into the upgrade version of the site.  That appeared to work initially, then we found the media tree wasn;t showing, but the content tree was.  Other people have mentioned that they weren't getting the content/media/user trees and there is a known fix for that.  We're just getting the media tree misssing

Weirdness

Tony

• Lennart Stoop 304 posts 842 karma points
    Sep 01, 2011 @ 13:17
    Lennart Stoop

As Rich already mentioned I'd also recommend upgrading to 4.5.2 first & run the upgrade wizard (which will run some db changes), and then upgrade to 4.7.

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Sep 01, 2011 @ 13:45
    Tom Fulton

Hi Tony,

When you get the 500 error in Fiddler, if you click the "Raw" data tab you might be able to get a better error that could help pinpoint things.

Also, does this site have any notable custom packages/functionality installed?  Namely anything with a custom Context Menu item?  These changed in 4.5 and using the old ones can give your trees these problems.

Thanks,
    Tom

Sep 01, 2011 @ 15:34
    Tony Perry

Thanks guys, will gove the 4.5.2 option a go. will let you know how i get on

Tony

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Sep 01, 2011 @ 15:35
    Rich Green

Best of luck! 

Let us know how it goes.

Rich

Sep 19, 2011 @ 12:34
    Tony Perry

Gents,

Thanks for your help on this one, that has worked.  was a right royal pain in the ass, but is now up and running.

For anyone else having to do this, do the upgrade to 4.5.2 and go from there.

I had to delete the following DLL's to get it to work:

Iron*.dll
    Microsoft.Dynamic.dll
    Microsoft.Scripting.dll
    Microsoft.Scripting.Debugging.dll
    umbraco.standardformhandlers.dll
    VistaDB For Umbraco.dll
    VistaDB.NET20.dll

Also, as i missed it, make sure you change the db connection within the web.config

Thanks

Tony 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft