Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Paul Bennett 30 posts 53 karma points
    Sep 27, 2011 @ 16:00
    Paul Bennett

Odd problem with Umbraco.config missing data

Hi 

We've had an odd problem whereby after making an update to the code, large amounts of content disappeared from the site. Republish Entire Site did not work and bring back all of the contents. Republishing the individiual nodes did work but in one particular folder there were too many nodes so publishing timed out.

We fixed it by copying the umbraco.config file from the previous working version of the site and recycling the application pool.

However, in the night, the changes reverted back and the content was lost again.

The original umbraco.config was about 5mb but since the changes, the files being generated are about 2mb.

Any suggestions for where to start investigating are much appreciated.

Thanks

Paul 

• Paul Bennett 30 posts 53 karma points
    Sep 30, 2011 @ 10:53
    Paul Bennett

Done anyone know if the table cmsXmlContent ever gets rebuilt and if so when and how this event is triggered?

Having done more research into this it appears that the umbraco.config file is generating the xml correctly as it should do from the cmsContentXml table in the database.

It would seem however that the data in this table is incomplete. I can see that the data in this table is built from other tables in which I can see that the data is intact (plus all the disappearing content is still visible in Umbraco).

I can see from this page http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/reference/api-cheatsheet/publishing-and-republishing that this table can be rebuilt and by running the http;//YOURDOMAIN/Umbraco/dialogs/republish.aspx?xml=true command I can force the rebuild. The rebuild times out and leaves incomplete data though.

It would seem that this rebuild was triggered during and rollout of new code to live including the installation of a new package and I would a better understanding of why so that we can avoid this in future...

Cheers

Paul

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft