Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• John 115 posts 150 karma points
    Oct 24, 2011 @ 08:32
    John

Ideas on getting Screen captures into media efficiently?

Hello there,

I am working on a lot of content that requires a lot of screen captures (basically we are reviewing websites) and the process of actually getting images into the media section is very time consuming. We have to;

- Capture the screen locally.
    - Goto media Section.
    - Upload it. Through the web browser.

This is slow :( If media was file based I could automate something with FTP or what not, but can't do that. I really want to just copy and paste like it was a rich editor :)

What I was thinking was maybe developing a macro that will do the work of screen capturing from a supplied url and put it in media section. The macro would have to run from the a macro in TinyMCE. This would be the nicest solution from end user perspective (me), but as much as I'd like to I don't really have the time for developing such things.

Anyway, my real question is, how do you guys get your images into the media section and content when you have loads of them to do?

Thanks for any ideas

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Oct 24, 2011 @ 10:26
    Dan Diplo

It won't help you with the actual captures, but you can use the Desktop Media Uploader to bulk-upload lots of images at once.

I guess you could use the API in conjunction with some 3rd party software to fully automate this.

• Rob Watkins 369 posts 701 karma points
    Oct 24, 2011 @ 11:56
    Rob Watkins

You could try installing the multiple file upload package which adds a Flash based multiple uploader to the media section; I seem to remember it can be a massive pain to get working, but once it is, it's very handy. There should be a multiple file uploader as part of the core functionality in my view.

http://our.umbraco.org/projects/website-utilities/multiple-file-upload

Just found another one, might give that a try on our site to compare the two: http://our.umbraco.org/projects/website-utilities/gecko-uploadify

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Oct 24, 2011 @ 12:00
    Lee Kelleher

Hi John,

I was considering this a while ago... started to look at using html2canvas to generate the screengrabs. Then use an AJAX post to send the bytes over to a HttpHandler and save as a Media node.

This way waaaay down on my to-do list... so if you do develop something, let me know - happy to help test it, etc.

Cheers, Lee.

PS. Desktop Media Uploader is a must-have for uploading media! (FYI it's been part of Umbraco core since 4.6)

• John 115 posts 150 karma points
    Oct 24, 2011 @ 12:56
    John

Hi all,

Thanks heaps for all your suggestions. I have Gecko Uploadify installed and that works good for bulk uploads. I'll have to swap to Desktop Media Uploader now its in core and try that out. That Brailsford guy is everyhwere, what a legend!

The issue with those is that its not really a bulk upload issue, it's kind of a lots and lots of one off uploads amongst analytical thinking....mostly what I want to avoid is breaking focus to perform meanial tasks. 

The html2canvas one looks interesting. I'll have a play and think about that. My first line of thought was having it run on the server and using something like http://websitesscreenshot.com/ (not open source) which I guess presents its own issues too. I will let you know Lee if I come up with anything, I think at this stage it'll probably be way down on my to do list too :|

Thank you 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft