Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Nov 01, 2011 @ 13:41
    Lee Kelleher

DocType Property keeps disappearing / reappearing (Azure)

I have an Umbraco (4.7.1) site deployed on Azure and needed to add a last minute document-type property.

Initially this appears to work fine, then suddenly the property disappears - from both the document-type and the content-edit screen - along with the following exception:

Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: Property linksPerSection (261) on Content Type ArticleSectionPage could not be retrieved for Document 1197 on Tab Page Section Links. To fix this problem, delete the property and recreate it.

Here is the stack-trace:

[ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: Property linksPerSection (261) on Content Type ArticleSectionPage could not be retrieved for Document 1197 on Tab Page Section Links. To fix this problem, delete the property and recreate it.]
       umbraco.controls.ContentControl.CreateChildControls() +1199
       System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +182
       umbraco.controls.ContentControl.OnInit(EventArgs e) +123
       System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +133
       System.Web.UI.Control.AddedControl(Control control, Int32 index) +277
       umbraco.cms.presentation.editContent.OnInit(EventArgs e) +1005
       System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +133
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1970

Following the advice, I try to delete the property from the document-type ... but it has already gone! So I try to re-add it... then the original property reappears (so now I have 2 properties with the same name/alias!!! not good right?)

I try creating another new property (with a different alias - appending a "2" to the end), but a similar pattern happens. Works fine for a few mins, then the property disappears.  I refresh the document-type screen a few times, and I can see the property keeps disappearing/reappearing.

Very frustrating.  Any ideas?

Thanks, Lee.

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Nov 01, 2011 @ 14:02
    Jeroen Breuer

Hi Lee,

I don't use Azure, but I've also had this behaviour once. It was when I was running an Umbraco website local, but it was using the live database. So I had 2 Umbraco websites (live and local) which have the same database. Sometimes when I added the property on the live website it wouldn't appear on the local website (which it should be because they use the same database). I think after restarting the app pool it did appear on both websites. Somehow I think some parts of Umbraco are cached, but I'm not sure. Don't know if this info is any useful :).

Jeroen

Nov 01, 2011 @ 14:05
    Lee Kelleher

Thanks Jeroen, at least I'm not going completely crazy! :-)

I've done an appPool restart (only by touching the umbracoSettings.config) ... which "seems" to have works.  At least the property isn't disappearing anymore!

I'll keep an eye on it, see what happens.

Thanks again, Lee.

• Jesper Hauge 298 posts 487 karma points c-trib
    Jan 18, 2012 @ 11:28
    Jesper Hauge

This sounds bad, I'm having the same problem on a 4.7.1 site runing on a normal webserver right now. No shared database here.

Does anybody know if this was a problem solved with the 4.7.1.1 update?

.Jesper Hauge

• trfletch 598 posts 604 karma points
    Feb 28, 2012 @ 10:16
    trfletch

Any update on this? I am also having a similar issue on a website, I am running 4.7.1.1 which I recently upgraded from 4.5.1. My property is not disappearing and re-appearing, it is showing on the document type properties but I am unable to delete it, if I try to go to an node that contains the property in the backend I get the following error which isn't very helpful because as I mentioned I cannot delete it!

Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: Property disableComments (228) on Content Type Article could not be retrieved for Document 11720 on Tab Page Content. To fix this problem, delete the property and recreate it.

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Feb 28, 2012 @ 10:18
    Jeroen Breuer

Do you have the Standerd Values package installed? I've had the same problem but fixed it by removing some references from the database.

Jeroen

Feb 28, 2012 @ 10:20
    Lee Kelleher

@trfletch: I actually experienced this again yesterday - not on Azure, but using a remote database with local Umbraco install.  Not sure what Umbraco caches, but it definitely caches something with the doc-types/properties ... which meant that when a doc-type was altered on the remote database (by another developer), then my local cache was invalid and displayed that error.  To resolve it, I touched my Web.config, which restarted the web-app / cleared the cache - then all was good again!?

Feb 28, 2012 @ 10:23
    trfletch

No I haven't but the document type in question does use a master document type that has got some default values that I have setup, I am wondering if this may be the issue but I have over 10000 nodes that use this document type and I can't see no easy way of changing the document type so that it does have a master.

Feb 28, 2012 @ 10:33
    trfletch

Hi Lee,

Thanks for the response, I am not using Azure and I have umbraco installed on a local server with the database on another local server (the website is currently still in development). I have already tried touching web.config, restarting the app pool, clearing the cache etc but without any success. Re-publishing one the of the nodes that does have this issue seems to resolve the problem but as you can imaging re-publishing over 10000 nodes is going to take a very long time which although isn't a major issue at the moment because the website isn't live, it would be a very big issue once the website is up and running.

• Chris Randle 67 posts 181 karma points c-trib
    Jun 22, 2012 @ 18:54
    Chris Randle

I have the same problem when running the site locally but connected to an Azure database. This is a common issue and I do believe is sometimes caused by either manually editing the database and breaking referential integrity between two tables. I suggest working on a local database and migrating to Azure later.

In the meantime, it can help by making all properties non-mandatory. This is a definite bug and hopefully fixable now v5 is shelved.

• Stefan Kip 1614 posts 4131 karma points c-trib
    Jul 02, 2012 @ 14:06
    Stefan Kip

I ran into this issue just a few moments ago and thought it was time to debug this error with the umbraco source code (4.7.2).
    The root of the problem in my case was a missing DLL from a datatype. The code catches every exception in umbraco.cms.businesslogic.Content on line 679:

try
    {
        p = new Property(propertyId, pt);
    }
    catch
    {
        continue//this remains from old code... not sure why we would do this?
    }

In my case, the catch told me that a datatype was missing with some guid as id.

• Erik Rosenlew 7 posts 38 karma points
    Dec 19, 2012 @ 14:35
    Erik Rosenlew

Glad I found your comments on this issue. Tryed to use local server with remote database and connected VS to the local web server process. Everything worked quite well until I added a property to a document. Property and it's value was correctly shown in back office view but property was not aviable via API. Guess it is not an good idea to attach debugging on local web server while using remote database. Must figure out other ways to debug. Mayby getting skills to write bugfree code is the solution :)

• Stefan Kip 1614 posts 4131 karma points c-trib
    Dec 19, 2012 @ 14:49
    Stefan Kip

Debugging a website local while connected to a remote DB works fine for me, so that shouldn't give you any problems.

• Erik Rosenlew 7 posts 38 karma points
    Dec 19, 2012 @ 14:55
    Erik Rosenlew

The debugging part works fine but the problems arise when adding properties to a document. I also have a hosted site that uses the same DB and that might complicate things more. In earlyer post it is mentioned that Umbraco seems to cache locally some information and that might be the reason why newly added propertys can't be found when using API. Anyway, not a huge problem. One just needs to find work methods that don't complicate things more than neccesary.

• Fabio Milheiro 74 posts 136 karma points
    Feb 22, 2013 @ 12:20
    Fabio Milheiro

http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-1491#comment=67-4953

Shannon Deminick's comment worked for me. Deleted items in recycle bin.

• Damian Green 452 posts 1433 karma points
    Feb 04, 2014 @ 12:23
    Damian Green

I am having a similar issue here when using a remote database and both the remote umbraco and local umbraco for editing doc types.

After saving the doc type on the local instance after creating on the remote they just disappear!!

The new properties also dont appear on the content tabs on the local instance.  Can see this been an issue for someone with a seperate site for doing the umbraco editing.

I have created a new issue for this:

http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-4171

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft