Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Daniel Hines 7 posts 27 karma points
    Nov 21, 2011 @ 20:58
    Daniel Hines

Live ID integration, forums, and other stuff

Hey,

Let me start by saying that I am completely new to Umbraco, or really any .NET CMS. 

I'm a computer science student at Seattle University finishing up my senior year, which involves a year long capstone project.  For my team's project, we are creating a developer community website for a client, with the idea of extending existing open-source CMS/forum solutions.  Among our project constraints are:

• Must use ASP.NET
    • Site login must be integrated with Live ID

This first quarter we've really concentrated on documentation and specifying our software requirements.  We've also spent some time researching different solutions, and have finally decided on Umbraco as our CMS of choice.  As for forums, we are still not decided.

So that brings me to my first question...does anybody have a recommendation for forums?  The forums are going to be the most important part of the site since this is intended to be a developer community.  All other pages on the site will be fixed for the most part other than the news page.  I'm wondering if Umbraco has a good extendible integrated forum, or if I'm better off using Umbraco strictly for CMS, then YAF or something for forums.  Some of the stuff we need in the forums are expanded user profile pages, rankings, and a specific layout/color scheme that has been specified by the client.

My next question has to do with Live ID integration.  Has anybody done this successfully that can point me in the right direction?  Basically we want all users to have a registered Live ID, and to simply login to one spot and have their session carry over both on the main site and on the forums.

I have a lot of research and learning ahead of me since a lot of this web development stuff and especially ASP.NET are pretty new to me and my team.  Any help pointing us in the right direction will be greatly appreciated!

-Danny

• Daniel Hines 7 posts 27 karma points
    Nov 21, 2011 @ 21:04
    Daniel Hines

A perfect example of what we are trying to achieve is the App Hub website (create.msdn.com).  This is very very close to what our end result needs to be.  We actually got put in contact with the creators of the site to get recommendations on what they used, but really all we got was the recommendation to not do what they did.  Apparently they started with a very old version of CommunityServer and customized it to the point that the source no longer looks in anyway the same.  And apparently they're planning on ditching it all soon for something new.

• Max 144 posts 166 karma points
    Jan 30, 2012 @ 08:24
    Max

http://weblogs.asp.net/dwahlin/archive/2007/08/17/integrate-windows-live-id-authentication-into-your-website.aspx

this wil help i have integrated live id with umbraco

but i havent done the next part where user can change their .. personl information data through client section which is still in progress..

in trying to integrate live id with umbraco membership

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft