Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Matt Watson 33 posts 55 karma points
    Nov 28, 2011 @ 12:09
    Matt Watson

Huge "Queue" folder

Hi all,

I am copying an Umbraco instance, and it is taking longer then usual. The reason is it has an absoloutly massive "Queue" folder (located in App_Data\TEMP\ExamineIndexes).

There are literally hundreds of ".add" files in this folder, and I was wondering the following:

• What is this folder for?
    • Why is it so full? Has something gone wrong?
    • Can I delete the contents without killing my Umbraco instance?

Thank you for any help you can provide with this, and if I've missed something obvious, feel free to taunt me.

Matt :)

• Matt Brailsford 4124 posts 22215 karma points MVP 9x c-trib
    Nov 28, 2011 @ 12:20
    Matt Brailsford

Hey Matt,

I'm sure there are better Examine gurus than myself that can explain what those files are, but in terms of deployment, you shouldn't need to deploy them.

Examine is a wrapper around Lucene, which is itself a content indexing solution to allow you to perform lighning fast queries on your content. It's mainly used for creating searches on a site (but can do a lot more).

That said, I never really deploy those files, as they can take a while, and the site should automatically re-generate them if they don't exist anyway, so to keep uploads lightweight, I leave them out.

So, in answer to your questions:

1) It's an index of your sites content

2) I'm not sure, some other Examine guru can answer that one =)

3) Yes

Cheers

Matt

• Matt Brailsford 4124 posts 22215 karma points MVP 9x c-trib
    Nov 28, 2011 @ 12:22
    Matt Brailsford

PS The same goes for the ClientDependency folder in App_Data/Temp/ aswell. I don't bother deploying, as it'll get auto populated anyway (Just an FYI)

• Damiaan 442 posts 1301 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Nov 28, 2011 @ 15:07
    Damiaan

It's like matt already explained.  You don't need to copy the files in the ~/App_Data/Temp/ folder. 

• Matt Watson 33 posts 55 karma points
    Nov 29, 2011 @ 21:30
    Matt Watson

Thanks Matt :) great advice as usual :D

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft