Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jonny Irwin 91 posts 153 karma points
    Nov 28, 2011 @ 16:02
    Jonny Irwin

Single site with multiple domains

Using Umbraco 4.7.

I have 1 website setup for which I have 2 domains.  I have setup both these domains ( call them domainA.local & domainB.local) within umbraco (using manage hostnames on my home node).  I have also set up the bindings for both domains in my website in IIS (7.5).

I would expect when I visit the site via domainA.local, that the links on that site would be preserved to stay on that domain e.g. menu items would stay as domainA.local/Contact-Us/ and domainA.local/help/.  However these links are changing across to the other domain.  It seems to be fairly random as to what domain the links point to.

Am I doing something stupid here?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• Duncan McDougall 35 posts 62 karma points
    Dec 03, 2011 @ 16:19
    Duncan McDougall

Hi Jonny. 

If both domains are set up on the same home node with the same language you should probably pick one as your main domain and set up a redirect for the other. For example domainB.local/some/page/ instantly redirects to domainA.local/some/page/

As far as I believe having the same site served on two domains is bad SEO practise as it looks like two sites serving duplicate content. You're essentially weaking the power of either domain. 

You can set up the redirect in urlRewriting.config.

If your unable to budge on the setup you have currently make sure all your links are relative. Pulling out a node's NiceUrl property should give you the relative domain.

Cheers,

Duncan

• Jonny Irwin 91 posts 153 karma points
    Dec 05, 2011 @ 10:26
    Jonny Irwin

Thanks for the reply Duncan.

Unfortunately I don't have a choice in the domain setup.  I'm aware of the SEO implications and we are using canonical links to try and minimise issues as much as possible.

URL re-writing isn't an option unfortunately.  We are also using NiceURL but the links are still switching over - in a very strange way (i.e. you can't guarantee what domain a link will have, no matter what domain you visit the site from).

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft