Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Daniel Hines 7 posts 27 karma points
    Nov 28, 2011 @ 17:21
    Daniel Hines

Looking at source for first time, having some issues

I'm looking to use Umbraco for a website I am creating but am needing to make some customizations.  I downloaded the source, but am failing to find any clear documentation for starting out Umbraco development for the first time.

Trying to open "Cms.Development.sln" I get the following error:

"C:\Users\Danny\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\umbraco\Source\Web Apps\Umbraco.CMS.Web.UI\Umbraco.Cms.Web.UI.csproj : error  : The project file 'C:\Users\Danny\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\umbraco\Source\Web Apps\Umbraco.CMS.Web.UI\Umbraco.Cms.Web.UI.csproj' cannot be opened.

The project type is not supported by this installation."

Then, trying to build the solution I get over 100 errors.  Can someone point me in the right direction for documentation on source code use?

• Ayo Adesina 430 posts 1023 karma points
    Nov 28, 2011 @ 19:04
    Ayo Adesina

OK I am not sure what you mean by 'you need to make some customizations' to what exactly umbraco?

If you are looking for a cms to build a website on....I really can not stress to you how good umbraco is...I have only beeen using it my self for about 6 months and in that time I have built loads of low traffic sites, umbraco is good for massive sites too I worked in the team that done www.jackwills.com 

if you are looking for a quick start guid to using umbraco start here >> http://umbraco.com/help-and-support/video-tutorials/

Do not over look umbraco.....I was a skeptic my self...but when you get the hang of it....any thing is possible ;-)

Good luck..

• Maxemilian Hilbrand 13 posts 37 karma points
    Nov 28, 2011 @ 19:17
    Maxemilian Hilbrand

Daniel,

do you have at least a visual studio 2010 professional edition with all features (Web development, C#) installed?

Max

• Daniel Hines 7 posts 27 karma points
    Nov 28, 2011 @ 20:16
    Daniel Hines

@Maxemilian Hibrand:

I am using Visual Studio 2010 Professional and yes have all features installed. 

@Ayo: 

This will be a high traffic site.  I didn't list the customizations needed in order to keep my post brief.  I made a post about what I needed to accomplish last week, hoping someone could point me in the right direction but didn't get a reply.  The major customization I need to make is to integrate Windows Live ID.  That is, users must authenticate using their Windows Live IDs in order to view certain content within the site.  I also need a forum, and am not sure if it would be better to integrate something like YAF into the site or if Umbraco had some very good forum modules. 

This will be a site where users can share and collaborate on development projects, so think of Microsoft's App Hub (create.msdn.com) as a perfect example.

I am a CS student doing this website as part of a 9-month project.  I am more familiar with PHP for web development and not so much .NET, but will have to learn very quickly. 

Really hoping for someone to point me in the right direction as far as learning how to get around the Umbraco source.

Thanks!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft