Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Daniel Blomberg 21 posts 41 karma points
    Dec 05, 2011 @ 10:16
    Daniel Blomberg

Creating a back up for my site

Hi Umbraco community,

I am really new to Umbraco and just a junior developer (java). I have been given the task to make some changes to a companys site (which is set up using Umbraco by an external partner). I therefore need to make a backup of the site files and the database so that if anything went wrong I could roll back to the existing code if needed (i.e. if I screw up:)). How do I do this the best way in Umbraco? Can I just duplicate the site for my development work and then use the Umbraco tool Courier (I am unsure if we have this pro sevice up and running) to transfer my new changes from my development site over to the live site? Or is there any other way in Umbraco? Do I have to talk with the people hosting the site? And please bare in mind that I am a total newb concerning both Umbraco and hosting/deployment of sites in general.

Thank you!

/ Daniel

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Dec 05, 2011 @ 10:48
    Rich Green

Hey Daniel,

Welcome to the Umbraco forum!

Backing up an Umbraco site is pretty much the same as backing up any .Net  / SQL Server website.

The two areas you need to back up are:

SQL server database - plently of tools available http://sqlbackupandftp.com/ is free and very simple

Media Folder - Unless you have something specific going on (custom code) once you have back up of the site only the media folder will change (if someone uploads an image or video for example) so this would need to be backed up. It's just in the file system so you have many options of how to back this up.

Hope this helps.

Rich

• Daniel Blomberg 21 posts 41 karma points
    Dec 05, 2011 @ 13:39
    Daniel Blomberg

Thank you!

I am going to change both templates and script files so then I will have to back up everything? The problem is that I do not know how to get an already working site up and running in a test environment.

Best, Daniel 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft