Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Damiano 9 posts 30 karma points
    Dec 12, 2011 @ 18:56
    Damiano

Hosting configuration issue - link to document doesn't change when page name changes

We have a new hosting solution for our umbraco sites, with Win 2008 (IIS 7) with MS SQL 2008 on .NET 4.

We published two umbraco sites there, one 4.5.2 and one 4.7.

We have a weird issue on the back-end management: when you change the name of the page the document link keeps the original value. So all the macro/xslt using the niceURL property look for a page doesn't exist.

I tried to unpublish/publish the document,

Republish all entire site from the root node,

I checked the DB tables and the content xml, all the datas are updated,

but that property doesn't change.

The only way to update the link is force the IIS reset changing the web.config.

On our local server the issue doesn't appear, I tried with a basic umbraco installation on the remote hosting and the problem is the same.

I'm thinking about some IIS configuration problem but I don't have direct access to the server configuration so I can't really investigate on, our hosting is wasting a lot of time trying to understand what can be the cause and I'd like to drive them on something more specific.

Is there anybody can suggest anything about that?

What exactly umbraco does when you pubblish a page? Is it getting some special access to the web.config file?

Any help/suggest will be very appreciated!

Thanks

• Kim Andersen 1447 posts 2196 karma points MVP
    Dec 12, 2011 @ 19:25
    Kim Andersen

Hi Damiano

Have you tried changing just a property lige eg. a title-field, some text in a textbox or anything like that? Just to check if those things work.

When Umbraco publishes a page, a file called umbraco.config is updated. This file is located in /data/umbraco.config (v4.5.2 if I remember correctly) and /App_Data/umbraco.config (in v4.7). Therefor Umbraco needs to have permissions to write to that file.

But could you check to see if any other property can be changed from inside of Umbraco?

/Kim A

Dec 13, 2011 @ 11:09
    Damiano

Hi Kim, and thanks for your reply.

The other properties work fine. You can edit and publish everything.

The permission for umbraco.config are correct, double checked, infact you can find there the new value for the document link updated.

The umbraco.config and the DB tables are updated with the new value, but until you don't refresh the web.config file you can't see the new value in the back-end and the NiceURL method gives you the old value

Dec 13, 2011 @ 21:16
    Kim Andersen

Hmm...that sounds pretty weird then :S

So the new entered value is infact updated in the umbraco.config-file?

Do you have some kind of weird cachng on the site or anything like that, who might cause some strange behaviour?

/Kim A

Dec 14, 2011 @ 12:03
    Damiano

The main problem is that I don't have direct access to the hosting configuration, and the support is not amazing...

so I'm trying to replicate it on my local enviroment to be able to suggest the solution, but without any clue it's not easy.

I'm almost sure is a IIS7 wrong configuration parameter, cause we have another issue on the session cookies, they never expire!

By the way, regarding the Link to Document, I need to find the relation between the publishing action and web.config file, as I said before when you pubblish, DB tables and umbraco.config files are well updated but you can see the property updated only if you "refresh" the web.config file!

So what exactly umbraco does after publishing to the web.config file?

Many thanks

Dec 14, 2011 @ 21:44
    Kim Andersen

I'm sorry Damiano, but I think I'm a bit lost here. Don't think that I know the solution to your problem right now unfortunately.

Hopefully someone else in here kan give a clue.

I'll off course return if I suddently remember something that might work for you.

/Kim A

Dec 15, 2011 @ 11:22
    Damiano

Finally it's working!

I asked to my hosting company to configure the website under IIS(V.7) to run in Classic Mode instead of the Integrated one, and now it works perfectly.

For my situation it's the solution, but for my personal curiosity, is there anybody with an explanation about?

Many thanks

Damiano

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft