Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• 7mountains 4 posts 24 karma points
    Dec 16, 2011 @ 14:32
    7mountains

SQLCE (SQL Compact Edition): Access Violation Error

I just released my first umbraco website! YEAH! However, after opening the website from a few different computers it gives the below error: 

System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeException: There is a file sharing violation. A different process might be using the file. [ \\storage\***\App_Data\Umbraco.sdf ]

Exception Details: SqlCE4Umbraco.SqlCeProviderException: Error running Reader: 
    SQL Statement: select id, domainName from umbracoDomains

Some additional information:

• Umbraco version 4.7.1
    • Website is configured as a multi-site (2 domains)
    • The website that has been opened without any errors keep on working... navigation, etc. However, opening the website on a different computers gives an error.
    It seems something that has to do with multi-threading, exclusive connections, or ... My knowledge is not deep enough to solve this error. Is there some Umbraco friend who is able to help me in this matter?

• Dan 1285 posts 3917 karma points c-trib
    Dec 16, 2011 @ 15:16
    Dan

Hi 7mountains,

Welcome to Our!  I can't help with your specific error message but I would recommend, if at all possible, to migrate to SQL Server Express or similar rather than running a production site from SQLCE.  Whilst there are a few quirks and functionality limitations with SQLCE e.g. not being able to truncate tables etc, the biggest single issue I've faced in running SQLCE is that once your database gets to a certain size (256Mb) it's extremely difficult to migrate to a full SQL version.  The tools such as WebMatrix which have built in SQLCE > SQLExpress upgrade tools currently currently won't even open a SQLCE database of 256Mb.  Scary stuff!  Once you reach this size your only option is to either hard-code a larger size limit in your web.config file - up to 4Gb (but think how slooooow SQLCE is going to be by that point!) or to install a third party plug-in into Visual Studio PRO (not available in free version, which I'm guessing many SQLCE users will actually use) to perform the migration.

So, if it was me, I'd really make every effort to upgrade to a fuller version of SQL Server asap, which as a by-product will almost certainly fix your issue above too.

Like I say, this might not be the quick and easy fix to your post which you were hoping for :) but I hope it helps in some way anyhow.

• 7mountains 4 posts 24 karma points
    Dec 16, 2011 @ 15:50
    7mountains

Hi Dan

Thank you for your quick response. While reading your post... I get a little disappointed in the SQLCE support. In my opinion SQLCE is the kind of database to go with for small websites. It is lightweight, easy to move, cost saver, etc. However, it seems to have weird limitations.

But nevertheless, I will upgrade to a full SQL server to avoid the current problems. 

Maybe Umbraco/WebMatrix should look in to the SQLCE problems for future usage?

Kind regards,

Martin

• Dan 1285 posts 3917 karma points c-trib
    Dec 16, 2011 @ 16:09
    Dan

I agree that it's disappointing - I thought that SQLCE would fill the gap of a mega quick to install, cheap to run, lightweight storage provider for Umbraco too, and to a large extent it does (you can get an Umbraco instance running in less than 1 minute with WebMatrix) but it definitely falls short in a number of areas in my experience, to the point where I don't even consider it for production sites.  It's not really an Umbraco issue as far as I can see - my major frustrations have been to do with the lack of admin tools for it: WebMatrix just isn't heavyweight enough to deal with larger (>256Mb) instances, but the biggest problem is with SQL Server Management Studio (/Express) which doesn't offer any migration path to full SQLCE meaning that there's basically no upgrade path using the common db admin tools.  I dug around regarding this and the best I could come up with was that SQLCE 4 is basically newer than those management tools, so the management side of CE is not well supported.  It seems crazy to me (I have a database but limited in administering it!?) but that's how it is for now.  I suspect when the next wave of management tools emerge this will change.

SQLCE is pretty slow with Umbraco though - particularly when you have a lot of nodes or a complex structure.  It's better with 4.7.1 than it was with 4.7, but again, it's noticeably slower than full SQL in my experience which is another reason I avoid it for anything other than quick experiments on localhost.

Good luck with the upgrade and I hope it resolves your main error above anyhow.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft