Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sher 42 posts 62 karma points
    Jan 04, 2012 @ 15:01
    Sher

How can i open umbraco database in Sql Server Management Studio 2008 R2

Hi All,

I am new to umbraco and i should be very simple, can anyone tell me how can i open  open umbraco database in Sql Server Management Studio 2008 R2,

Thanks in Advance

Sher

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Jan 04, 2012 @ 15:21
    Dirk De Grave

Hi,

If you use the username/password combination you've used to install umbraco to open the umbraco database in sql mgmt studion 2008 R2. Be aware that you need sql authentication.

Of course, if you happen to know the sa password on the sql server, that's fine too. 

Also, if your windows login is member of the sql admin group, you can also use windows authentication to find and open the umbraco database in sql mgmt studio

Cheers,

/Dirk

Jan 05, 2012 @ 05:57
    Sher

Hi Dirk,

Thanks for the reply i tried that but an error is coming

"This is not a valid SQL Server Compact Database file or this file version is not supported by current SQL Server Compact Engine."

can you please guide me through,  i am trying to open the Umbraco.sdf in APP_DATA folder of my project.

Thanks in Advance,

Sher

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Jan 05, 2012 @ 09:20
    Dirk De Grave

Aha, now I have some more info on what type of db. If you're using just Sql CE, you can open up your database in vs.net (I have tried to open it up in sql server mgmt studio, but did get the same errors).

But, you need to install something before you can do that...

Open up web platorm installer and select Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 SP1 Tools for SQL Server Compact 4.0. Once you've installed that (and maybe some dependencies as well, depending on what's already installed on your pc), you can open up the .sdf file from the App_Data folder.

HTH,

Cheers,

/Dirk

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Jan 05, 2012 @ 09:58
    Rich Green

Hey Sher,

As Dirk says you can open this with Visual Studio. Another option is to convert the database to SQL Server, you can do this by using Web Matrix ( a free download using the Web PI)

Regards

Rich

Jan 05, 2012 @ 11:12
    Sher

Thanks Both for the reply, i just wanted to add some tables to the DB, now i can do it with web matrix :)

Thanks Again

Sher

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft