Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Phil Crowe 192 posts 256 karma points
    Jan 10, 2012 @ 15:32
    Phil Crowe

How do i copy members from one umbraco site to another

I found this article on how to copy members from one umbraco site to another : http://forum.umbraco.org/default.aspx?g=posts&t=5003

but its an old post and im not sure how much things have changed in umbraco. i need to move my members from umbraco v 4.5.2 to umbraco v 4.7.1

Whats the best way of doing this? most of my members also have profile images so i need to consider this as well as sql wouldnt be the final solution.

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Jan 10, 2012 @ 15:36
    Tom Fulton

Hi Phil,

Never done this but you could try a combination of MemberExport and CMSImport.  Both packages are written by the same person (Richard Soeteman) so I would imagine they play nicely together :)  I've used both but never together, but if any problems Richard provides excellent support!

-Tom

Jan 10, 2012 @ 16:03
    Phil Crowe

Thanks Tom,

I wont be able to test this until tomorrow but i will feedback after i give it a try.

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Jan 10, 2012 @ 16:19
    Richard Soeteman

Hi,

Yes you can use MemberExport and CMSImport to do this. Only thing you need to do during import of the members is to set password format to plain text. Otherwise your hashed password will be hashed again and passwords don't work anymore.

After import set the password format to hashed again and all should work.

Profile pictures can also be done but you need the Pro version of CMSImport to do this. And it requires a bit of configuration since both environments will use the same media folder. But there are several ways to work around this. You might want to try without importing images first.

Cheers,

Richard

• Jazz 21 posts 41 karma points
    Mar 15, 2012 @ 15:55
    Jazz

Hi Richard,

I installed MemberExport and download member data is csv file. Can you please advise how do I export to my new umbraco website?

Thanks,

Jazz

Mar 15, 2012 @ 15:59
    Phil Crowe

Hi Jazz, you need to get the memberImport package on your new site to import the csv of your members. if you have any media items with your members ie profile pictures take a copy of your whole media folder, rename it, add it to the directory of your new site and do a find an replace in your csv to update the file paths to the renamed media folder in your sites directory.

Mar 15, 2012 @ 16:41
    Jazz

Hi Phil, Thanks for your reply. Is there any free/trial version of memberImport package?

Mar 15, 2012 @ 17:04
    Phil Crowe

its free up to 200 members (i think) i had 4000 so had to pay 99 euro http://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/cmsimport

Mar 16, 2012 @ 10:41
    Jazz

Hi Phil,

Thanks for link. I installed cmsimport package but it do not show in Developer section. Any idea please?

Mar 16, 2012 @ 10:50
    Richard Soeteman

Logout from admin console and login again. Tree on the developer section could be cached.

Cheers,.

Richard

Mar 16, 2012 @ 11:04
    Phil Crowe

i think i had to restart the site in iis and refresh the app pool as well... 

Mar 16, 2012 @ 11:05
    Jazz

Thanks Richard,

I did that many times but still not showing. But when I right click on any page in Content section it shows import data there at the end. As I only want to import members so when I follow steps here it ask me for page document types etc. Please advise?

Regards,

Jazz

Mar 16, 2012 @ 11:07
    Phil Crowe

jazz, see my comment on page one. same happened with me. :)

Mar 16, 2012 @ 11:13
    Jazz

Thanks Phil,

I restarted the site and it's showing in Developer section.. Thanks again...cheers

Mar 16, 2012 @ 11:58
    Jazz

Hi Guys,

Now getting an error while Creating Mapping. At first time default columns selected automatically see below

but when I click next it come with errror "Login is required"

Please advise if I'm missing anything..

Thanks,

Jazz

Mar 16, 2012 @ 12:06
    Richard Soeteman

That's weird, tahts should not happen, maybe it's the file format is it possible to send me that so I can create a fix richard[at]soetemansoftware[.]nl

Thanks,

Richard

Mar 16, 2012 @ 12:38
    Phil Crowe

richard this was the same error i encountered. jazz, to get around this i exported the old members as an excel file. you will need to install a driver on the server/machine your new site is running on to then import the users. if i remember correctly theres a link to the driver when you select the excel option on the new site,

Mar 16, 2012 @ 12:41
    Jazz

Please check your email..cheers

Mar 16, 2012 @ 12:55
    Jazz

Hi Phil,

But it only shows three options (csv, SqlServer and XML) in Datasource type.

Do I need to install excel on my server.

Regards,

Jazz

Mar 16, 2012 @ 13:01
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Jazz,

That option is only in pro. I send you an email. The export could contain a , in the password then it will break on import. I will fix that in a later release for now set textindicator to " when exporting.

Thanks,

Richard 

Mar 16, 2012 @ 14:18
    Richard Soeteman

I can confirm this is a bug. I have another umbrao site where I have the same problem. Will let you know when I have a fix

Mar 16, 2012 @ 14:22
    Jazz

Thanks Guys,

Its fixed now. I just export my csv into sql and select Sql DataSource instead of csv in import.

Regards,

Jazz

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft