Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• J. Vítor Ferreira 8 posts 28 karma points
    Jan 23, 2012 @ 17:31
    J. Vítor Ferreira

Content node is missing can't manage content without Admin User

Hi there,
    We have a managing contents problem on our website. Our users can't manage contents because the content node is empty.
    We are using the Admin user, the only user who can manage website contents.
    We have two systems, stress test and production. The first is ok and the second one has no content tree. We made some deploy's from one to another system and problem remains.

In the production system wich I made some checks with firebug from firefox during a session with a normal user (not Admin) and I found some errors as follows:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Invalid object name 'UCUserSettings'.
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Invalid object name 'UCUserSettings'.

****************************************************************************

I found similar posts here but none applies to us.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Jan 23, 2012 @ 18:26
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi there and welcome to our :)

I'm guessing that some files are missing on the production server. What steps did you guys take in order to deploy from stage to production?

Also have you double checked that permissions have been set properly on the root folder containing Umbraco?

/Jan

Jan 30, 2012 @ 12:39
    J. Vítor Ferreira

Thanks Jan.

Sorry the delay but I was absent.

Here's what our systems administration has done:

• The depoy was made by copy/paste for all files from quality system to production system.
    • About the permissions, all granted as CHANGE. We gonna make some checks by comparing objects between both systems.

Regards.

• Paul Kaplan 86 posts 139 karma points
    Jan 30, 2012 @ 21:56
    Paul Kaplan

Did you copy the database as well?  If you're copying an Umbraco instance to another instance and it does not share the same database, you need to make a copy of the database.

I found these instructions, and they work OK for me (note this is with MySql so the procedure would be slightly different using SQL Server:

1.Copy all the directories and archives of wwwroot directory in Computer 1 to wwwroot directory in Computer 2. If wwwroot had
    existing archives or directories, first delete them.

2.Create a new database in the test server (we use SQL server). To avoid problems, call that database as the origin database
    (the one wich has Computer 1). We used the steps of this guide umbraco.org/.../install-umbraco-4-on-windows-vista (Chapter 7.
    Sub-chapter: SQLServer ManagementStudio Express). After that you will hava a blank database created and a user asociated to it.

3.Do a backup of the origin database (Computer 1) and restore it in the test server (with the option "overwrite the exixting
    database").

4.In test server now you have a copy of the origin database. Delete the user asociated to the database and create a new one
    (with the same name and permissions... as in step 2). We have done this because we had problems running Umbraco if we don't do
    that...

5.Configure test server SQL Server to accept remote connections (if it isn't).

6.Change the web.config file on wwwroot of Computer 1 and Computer 2 to point to the new database created in the test server.

7.Run Umbraco... you should be able to login correctly.

$ mysqldump -u user -p db-name > db-name.out

$ mysql -u MobileCmsUmbraco -p spaceballs MobileCmsUmbraco < umbraco.out

Regards,

-- Paul

Jan 30, 2012 @ 22:02
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi

As Paul is saying above it's probably because you have not deployed the database as well - I think the error you posted is because the macro refering to the user control is missing in the DB.

So make sure the DB is deployed as well and don't hesitate to post in here if you have any further questions.

/Jan

Jan 31, 2012 @ 10:06
    J. Vítor Ferreira

Thank you both for your sugestions.

Because we made the last content changes in the production system, we must consider this system as the one that have the good content, we cannot act under the quality system to deploy to the production system.

Can we ignore the quality system and manage the situation in the production system ?

Regards.

Feb 02, 2012 @ 19:06
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi J. Vitor Ferrerira

Is the quality system totally messed up? Or is the content just different now? If the DB for the quality system is corrup how about making a copy of the one from the production system and use that on the quality system as well?

Since I suppose all new content will be created on production the content on quality (stage) will be outdated anyhow just used to test new functionality before you deploy file changes to live I think that is perhaps the way to go?

/Jan

Mar 21, 2012 @ 19:02
    J. Vítor Ferreira

Hi everybody

Finally we found a solution for this problem. Inside of the bin folder there was some files none of them  necessary related to Courier. After removed them the tree nodes appear and now it's possible manage our website with my profile, not with admin.

The only one we keep was the Umbraco.Courier.Core.dll file.

Thank you all.

Here are the files:

Umbraco.Courier.Core

Umbraco.Courier.DataResolvers.dll

Umbraco.Courier.DataResolvers

Umbraco.Courier.Persistence.V4.NHibernate.dll

Umbraco.Courier.Persistence.V4.NHibernate

Umbraco.Courier.Providers.dll

Umbraco.Courier.Providers

Umbraco.Courier.RepositoryProviders.dll

Umbraco.Courier.RepositoryProviders

Umbraco.Courier.UI.dll