Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Christian Stenfors 80 posts 124 karma points
    Jan 31, 2012 @ 10:20
    Christian Stenfors

best practice for placing content in umbraco

simple question:

i am creating a website, where i have data/content that i don't want to show the website editors, but that are used on the website. The data is related to members. A member is asosioated to a umbraco document, and this document can have subpages.

I then have macros that creates lists from these datas.

Would it make sence, be possible, to have a structure like this?:

- Content

- - Homepage

- - - - Page 1

- - - - Page 2

- - Memberdata

- - - - Member 1

- - - - Member 1 subpage

- - - - Member 1

Then the navigation on the website will just show the Homepage and subcontent, and memberdata is just for datastorage.
    With way i can have website editors start from the "Homepage" document, and don't have to think about then altering data by mistake.

• Rodion Novoselov 694 posts 859 karma points
    Jan 31, 2012 @ 11:27
    Rodion Novoselov

Hi. You can get user access limited to the part of the content or media tree with setting "Start node in Content / Media Library" on the user property page.

Jan 31, 2012 @ 11:49
    Christian Stenfors

yes, excatly :)

That was also what i was thinking about with the "With  this way i can have website editors start from the "Homepage" document, and don't have to think about then altering data by mistake."

But i am still interested in hearing thoughs about weather this i a good approach in Umbraco CMS, or if there are anything that i should be aware of..?

• Paul Kaplan 86 posts 139 karma points
    Jan 31, 2012 @ 13:38
    Paul Kaplan

I think what Rodion is getting at, is that when "Member 1" logs on, he/she would start editing on the "Member 1" page rather than the home page.  That would eliminate the possibility of Member 1 editing Member 2's data.  You can also disallow Member 1 from seeing Member 2's content area, which is better yet.

-- Paul

Jan 31, 2012 @ 13:42
    Christian Stenfors

ahh, right. I forgot to say, that members are not logging in to the Umbraco backend.They only update there profil, and the subcontent through the frontend.

Then the website uses memberdata and member sub-content to generate content around the website for non-member website guests.

Hope that mades sence :D

• Rodion Novoselov 694 posts 859 karma points
    Jan 31, 2012 @ 14:15
    Rodion Novoselov

If you're talking about members (not users) then you can granulate their access with the "Public access" feature. (Right click on the node -> Public access).

Jan 31, 2012 @ 14:27
    Christian Stenfors

Rodion > thank you for your answer. Yes, i know that. I have the development situations pretty much under control (i think), my question is only regarding "best practices" concerning data architecture within Umbraco CMS.

Because i did not (do not) know if it could create some sort of conflicts to have 2 "root/main"-nodes just below the standard "Content" node in the Umbraco Content section 

Jan 31, 2012 @ 14:30
    Christian Stenfors

and what i want to do in the backend Umbraco interface, is just to hide all the member related umbraco documents to the backend users.

Therefor i though that a solution could be, just to create another document in the root of the content section that would be a sibling to the website node...

hope that this makes sence....

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft