Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Floris Robbemont 57 posts 89 karma points c-trib
    Mar 13, 2012 @ 10:13
    Floris Robbemont

Lot's of SQL queries

Hi,

Is it normal for Umbraco 4.7.1 to fire more than 150 queries for each page-load?

A lot of queries are the same too:

SELECT id, createDate, trashed, parentId, nodeObjectType, nodeUser, level, path, sortOrder, uniqueID, text FROM umbracoNode WHERE id = @id

SELECT Email, LoginName, Password FROM cmsMember WHERE nodeId=@nodeId

SELECT nodeid FROM cmsContentType WHERE alias = @alias

It looks like it does'nt cache at all.

Anyone has any clue on how to fix this?

Thnx!

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Mar 13, 2012 @ 10:41
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Floris,

Is this on the front-end or back-office?

If it's the front-end, then it depends on what is happening in the templates/macros, e.g. using the Document object API would/could do this, so not advised.

For the back-office, I'd say yes, it is usual for a lot of SQL queries - especially when loading/editing/saving content/media.  Are you noticing major performance impacts?

There is caching - in the Developer section, there is a Cache Browser which can show you what types of objects are being cached. If this isn't caching anything, then that *might* be a reason for the poor performance?

Cheers, Lee.

Mar 13, 2012 @ 11:01
    Floris Robbemont

Hi Lee,

Thnx for your reply!

This is a front-end issue. I can see a lot of caching in the backoffice cache browser, so stuff is being cached.

I'm using a lot of Dynamic razor stuff. Stuff like:

@foreach (var MenuPage in parent.Children.Where("Visible"))

I'm not sure if this is actually the Document object API.

Is there a better way of doing this?

Also, I saw that in version 4.7.1 members aren't cached. When using the following statement in Razor

@foreach (var MenuPage in AccountPage.Children.Where("Visible && HasAccess"))

It creates a members and runs the GetMember query for every page.

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Mar 13, 2012 @ 11:36
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Floris,

Think you've nailed it with the uncached 'GetMember' call.  I don't know much about how the Razor macro engine does it's "magic", best person to speak with about that is Gareth Evans, (not sure how much he's on the forum, but he's on Twitter).

Sorry I can't help more... you wouldn't want me suggesting to use XSLT? ;-)

Cheers, Lee.

• Rodion Novoselov 694 posts 859 karma points
    Mar 13, 2012 @ 13:29
    Rodion Novoselov

Hi. Yes, as it seems it's because the "HasAccess" property requests the current member object every time being called. I suppose you can workaround that by getting at first the list of visible pages with Children.Where("Visible") and than filtering it with some lower-level method that wouldn't require calling GetMember inside its implementation (i.e. one of Access class' methods). Also, actually, navigation rendering macros are usually good candidates for caching themselves (since usually site structure changes much more seldom than content), so, perhaps simple macro caching could help.

• Gareth Evans 142 posts 334 karma points c-trib
    Mar 15, 2012 @ 20:57
    Gareth Evans

Sorry for the delayed reply.
    Nice catch, no that's not normal.
    I am not sure how I can optimise it though, I guess the umbraco membership provider could have some short term caching added?

The .Where magic is actually an string=>expressiontree generator, at the end of the day it generates an expression tree which evaluates to a true/false result.
    Within that, it makes multiple calls to DynamicNode TryGetMember (as in field/property, not login member) to get the data for the fields used in the predicate.

In this case, because the HasAccess evaluates to DynamicNode.HasAccess this is the property getter that should be optimised to speed this particular where clause up.

One of the other guys had issues with his menu being slow on twitter, i'll hit him up and see if he was using HasAccess too.

Gareth

• Rodion Novoselov 694 posts 859 karma points
    Mar 15, 2012 @ 22:39
    Rodion Novoselov

The actual problem is not the HasAccess itself but the membership framework. By design the forms authentication stores in the cookie only the user name and each time the application wants any additional user data (like an e-mail or the ID) it has to go to the database for it. As I mentioned in some other thread here recently I'm expecting to get some problem with it in my current project, but I suppose a probable solution can be to build quite a simple custom membership provider on the top of umbraco's just to add some caching functionality to its calls.

Mar 15, 2012 @ 22:40
    Gareth Evans

Hi Rodion

Please skype me on agrath and I'll send you a nightly dll to test - I just added a bit of caching and dropped sql queries on one of my in-development sites from 60 to 12 (per page load)

Gareth

Mar 15, 2012 @ 23:04
    Floris Robbemont

Hi Gareth,

Could you send me some Mercurial Patch files for those changes? I'm working on a heavy website and this is becoming an issue :(

Floris

Mar 15, 2012 @ 23:09
    Gareth Evans

Floris,

I haven't committed the changes to trunk yet as I was hoping to have the changes (which I've only just coded in the last hour) tested on a few sites first.
    Could I send you some nightly dlls instead or do you have other changes that are in a custom build?

Gareth

Mar 15, 2012 @ 23:13
    Floris Robbemont

I do have some other things in my custom build (like this one: http://umbraco.codeplex.com/SourceControl/network/forks/florisrobbemont/MacroCachingHeavyLoad) and some other stuff. I tested my code and it's stable, but didn't had the time to create a fork and a pull request.

Could you send me your modified cs files in a rar? I could implement the changes by merging the files with my custom build :)

Mar 15, 2012 @ 23:16
    Gareth Evans

Please DM me on twitter your email address, I'll send you a diff (I think I generated that correctly)

--Edit, 

Think I just found your email in my address book and sent you the patch

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Jul 03, 2012 @ 12:03
    Jeroen Breuer

Has this been fixed in 4.7.2? Currently I've got a 4.7.1.1 website and I'm using the Cultiv Search Engine Sitemap which uses .Where("HasAccess"). This makes generating the xml sitemap very slow.

Jeroen

Jul 03, 2012 @ 14:41
    Floris Robbemont

@Jeroen:

The problem lies with the Membership provider. There is a fix however, but it's quite intrusive.

Gareth wrote a ShorTermCacheProvider which caches all content and member access for about 5 seconds (enough for 1 request).

I have a custom build 4.7.2 here which has that extra option. If you want I can send it to you :)

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Jul 03, 2012 @ 14:47
    Jeroen Breuer

Hi Floris,

I hoped that there would have been a proper fix. It's only for the xml sitemap so speed isn't really important. I'll leave it for now, but thanks :).

Jeroen

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft