Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Stephen 767 posts 2273 karma points c-trib
    Mar 15, 2012 @ 17:24
    Stephen

TinyMCE version

OK, the TinyMCE bundled with 4.7.1 is driving me mad. Embedding macros just does not work, our users just keep screwing the macro tags by accident, etc.

So I decided to try to update to the latest TinyMCE by merging umbraco-specific changes. In theory, Umbraco 4.7.1 is running TinyMCE 3.4 but when comparing the code against 3.4... there are many files with undocumented and non-Umbraco-related changes...

So I begin to seriously doubt Umbraco 4.7.1 is actually running TinyMCE 3.4 but maybe some sort of... I don't know.

I really would like to get in touch with whoever did this (and looking at the commits, that would be Niels) : is there a way to figure out which version was actually used? Ie is there a TinyMCE version I can compare against to figure out changes?

Or should I abandon all hope?

I've setup a Mercurial repo with TinyMCE 3.4, then Umbraco's TinyMCE on a branch and TinyMCE 3.5 on another branch, then tried to do a 3-way merge on branches... and suddenly felt like crying ;-)

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Mar 15, 2012 @ 17:34
    Tom Fulton

Hi,

Afraid I can't be of much help, but I did see this pull request from November updating TinyMCE to 3.4.7 - have you had a look at that to see how it works and/or see if it resolves the problems?  I've been planning to check it out to see if it resolves this firefox 11 issue.

Hopefully someone else might have more details - I think it's about time for an update :)

-Tom

Mar 15, 2012 @ 18:29
    Stephen

Was not aware of that pull request. Currently having a look.

Mar 16, 2012 @ 12:33
    Stephen

Have a prototype working with TinyMCE 3.5b1, currently updating to 3.5b2 that was released yesterday. The non-editable mode seems more stable to the point that macro placeholders can be set as non-editable and it seems to work.

I can provide a zip archive to extract into Umbraco's umbraco_client. Anyone interested in helping test this?

Mar 16, 2012 @ 13:02
    Tom Fulton

Hi Stephen,

I would definitely love to help test - hit me up on twitter for contact details

-Tom

Mar 16, 2012 @ 15:13
    Stephen

TinyMCE 3.5b2 drop-in replacement coming to you by email right now. Let me know how it works for you.

• Andy Wilson 2 posts 22 karma points
    Mar 20, 2012 @ 14:05
    Andy Wilson

Hi Stephen,

Just wondered if there was any update on this TinyMCE upgrade you were working on?

We're seeing a bug with TinyMCE and Firefox 11 which should be resolved in the 3.5b2 release. We'll also be willing to help test your TinyMCE 3.5b2 update if that's ok?

Cheers,

Andy

Mar 20, 2012 @ 14:25
    Tom Fulton

Hi Andy,

So far it's working well for me, I installed it on a small production site this morning - we'll see if anything comes up.  Also FYI Rodion posted a workaround of resizing your browser window after the edit screen loads if you need something temporary.

I think Stephen is still looking for others to test, if he doesn't respond right away DM me your email on twitter and I'll shoot it over.

-Tom

• vijayaprakash 1 post 25 karma points
    Mar 20, 2012 @ 15:17
    vijayaprakash

Add this script in before body tag close

jQuery(window).load( function() {
        jQuery(".mceEditor .mceLayout").each(function(i,ele){
         jQuery("#"+ele.id).css('width',jQuery("#"+ele.id).width()+10)
        });
        });

• Andrew Waegel 126 posts 126 karma points
    Mar 20, 2012 @ 23:39
    Andrew Waegel

vijayaprakash, that worked for me, thanks. I put it at the bottom of the script block in /umbraco/editContent.aspx.

• Andy Wilson 2 posts 22 karma points
    Mar 22, 2012 @ 11:14
    Andy Wilson

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply! I've deployed the jQuery workaround posted by vijayaprakash as a temp fix but I'm still very interested in getting TinyMCE updated as there are other bug fixes in that release. I've sent you a message on Twitter.

Cheers,

Andy

• Essy 74 posts 96 karma points
    Mar 22, 2012 @ 19:19
    Essy

I'm also desperate to get TinyMCE sorted out - it's taking ages to load editor pages atm

• Jennifer Killingsworth 191 posts 247 karma points
    Mar 22, 2012 @ 21:01
    Jennifer Killingsworth

Stephen,

I'd be willing to test your TinyMCE 3.5b2 update.  I tried downloading TinyMCE 3.5b2 from TinyMCE's website, but I'm not sure how to customize it to work in Umbraco.

Thanks!

Jennifer

• George 30 posts 122 karma points
    Apr 02, 2012 @ 20:30
    George

I ran into the problem where only the first TinyMCE editor was functional. I also had background-color styles applied to the editor area, and those wouldn't show up either until the browser was resized. The javascript workaround posted above by vijayaprakash didn't quite do the trick for me. I think this was due to me having to navigate to a different tab before seeing the problem. I had to modify the code so that it would run after each tab switch:

(function($) {
    function resizeFix() {
    $('.mceEditor .mceLayout').each(function(i, ele) {
    $(ele).css('width', $(ele).width() + 1);
    });
    }
    $(window).load(resizeFix);
    $('.header ul li a').click(resizeFix); // also run the resize fix when tab changes occur
    })(jQuery); 
  • Andrew Waegel 126 posts 126 karma points
    Apr 04, 2012 @ 02:05
    Andrew Waegel

I had to modify the bit from @george to apply the resize only to visible editors:

(function($) {
                function resizeFix() {
                    $('.mceEditor .mceLayout:visible').each(function(i, ele) {
                        var nw = $("#"+ele.id).width()+1;
                        $("#"+ele.id).css('width', +nw+"px");
                    });
                }
                $(window).load(resizeFix);
                $('.header ul li a').click(resizeFix); // also run the resize fix when tab changes occur
            })(jQuery);

• George 30 posts 122 karma points
    Apr 05, 2012 @ 16:11
    George

Even better. Thanks Andrew.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft