Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Bill 81 posts 83 karma points
    Mar 21, 2012 @ 15:48
    Bill

Use an external Media Library

Hello everyone,
    is it possible to load an external Media Library from another umbraco site);

For example, under the the media Library you could add a tree where you could edit the source (the other site) and everytime the media section of the source site is updated you would be able to see the changes instantly. Also it would be great if all the options, crops, fields, etc were common in all sites and editable from all sites but not editable.

I want to have 3-4 different sites with common photos and in the future all our umbraco sites could use the same media library. Right now we upload, using Desktop Media Uploader, every day almost 50 photos * 3 sites and a lot of time, bandwidth, disk capacity is wasted. And keep in mind that every photo is cropped at least once each time and that means A LOT OF TIME.

• Grant Thomas 291 posts 324 karma points
    Mar 21, 2012 @ 17:02
    Grant Thomas

To my knowledge, this kind of stuff is not supported out of the box - your best* bet would be to implement a bespoke solution that extends Umbraco.

If the three sites are variations on a theme, or for whatever other reasons are actually part of the same Umbraco solution but separated by root content nodes, then this would be fine. But I take it that's not the case, as I'm sure you would have figured that out just fine.

Another option could be to remove the responsibility from Umbraco of this aspect of media management. Using a central source on your server (or even distributed, I guess) and a web service that has access to it, you could manually pull through the appropriate media on demand and populate accordingly. This also gives you the flexibility of developing a custom UI for media management (in the form of a web page tool, a system application, or heck, just use FTP to the location!) - it does have the potentially negative affect of making this particular set of media unmanageable in terms of the CMS. If I had to choose, I would probably go this route, circumstances depending.

*'best' is subjective to the scenario, though; personally I wouldn't even try to 'tie' it into Umbraco.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft