Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• mmmoustache 50 posts 79 karma points
    Apr 02, 2012 @ 11:22
    mmmoustache

Site unpublished itself (4.7.0)

Hi Everyone,

I've seen this problem come up before but not yet with the Umbraco version I am using (4.7.0) so I'm assuming this is a unique problem. 

One of our client's site has been up for well over a year now but recently (about a month or two ago) we switched the hosting to another site, the last time the site was touched and everything was working fine. Over the weekend something must have happened because today all nodes were unpublished, causing a variety of script errors and lack of navigation etc...

Is it possible that an Umbraco bug caused this to happen or is there some way the client could have unpublished all nodes by mistake? Is there any way I can find out what happened? Republishing the entire site fixed the problem but it would be good to find out the cause to avoid it in the future.

Kind Regards,
    mmmoustache

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Apr 02, 2012 @ 11:43
    Lee Kelleher

Hi mmmoustache,

For a v4.7 install to unpublish itself is quite rare - or unheard of.  There was a bug around 4.0 with something similar, but not sure what the root cause of that was.

Is it possible that permissions had changed on the web-server? As in Umbraco couldn't write the "umbraco.config" to the App_Data folder? - but this seems weird, as you successfully republished it.

Another suggestion would be to check if the "umbraco.config" is valid XML ... there might possibly be an illegal character in there, from some rogue data-type ... but that is pure guess-work!

Cheers, Lee.

• mmmoustache 50 posts 79 karma points
    Apr 02, 2012 @ 12:17
    mmmoustache

Hi Lee,

Thanks for the reply! That was my thinking, it's very odd indeed so I can only imagine the client did something they shouldn't have. Those are both how they should but thanks for the suggestions, just as long as I know Umbraco wasn't the cause of the problem!

Kind Regards,
    mmmoustache 

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Apr 02, 2012 @ 14:31
    Jeroen Breuer

More info about the 4.5 problem can be found here: http://blog.darren-ferguson.com/2010/11/2/working-around-the-'no-nodes'-issue-with-umbraco-45x

Jeroen

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft