Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• clearnew 3 posts 23 karma points
    May 29, 2012 @ 22:55
    clearnew

Media Type vs. Document Type

Umbraco/.NET Noob Alert!

This is going to be a brutally easy question to answer for many of the people here but I've researched and cannot find an answer anywhere.

What is the difference between a media type and a coument type and where would I use the different types?

Both will take multiple tabs/properties which means they could be used for just about anything I want but how should I be using them?

An example would be a sub menu on my site that has to be editor customizable. I was thinking about creating a media type to house a property for a link type (external or internal), a textstring for link text, another textstring for an external URL and a content picker for an internal link. Then I would allow the editor to select the 6 or 7 links they'd like in their sub-menu.

Am I way off base here?

Thanks in advance!

Jun 04, 2012 @ 16:52
    clearnew

Oh my goodness, no takers? Is it that bad a question? ;)

• Alex Skrypnyk 6148 posts 24077 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Jun 04, 2012 @ 17:08
    Alex Skrypnyk

You should use document types, I don't understand why you ask about media types. For your tasks you need only document type, document and properties.

Media only for images, video and other "MEDIA" things.

Thanks,

Alexandr

• Rik Helsen 670 posts 873 karma points
    Jun 04, 2012 @ 23:19
    Rik Helsen

Only use media if you upload a file or document, that you want content editors to be able link to or display in pagecontent (RichtText editors)

Jun 07, 2012 @ 21:17
    clearnew

Thanks Alex and Rik!

I honestly thought that was the case but I've seen people using media types for that stuff. It works of course but is it best practice. Now I have a definative no. :)

Thanks again gents!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft