Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Paul Hulatt 47 posts 59 karma points
    May 31, 2012 @ 12:27
    Paul Hulatt

File locking on umbraco.config when ContinouslyUpdateXmlDiskCache is set to False

I have a load-balanced solution running Umbraco 4.7.2 and I am getting a confusing error message in the Umbraco Log which coincides with one of my servers returning a 200 error.  The first error is as follows which is then followed by lots of messages stating that umbraco.config is in use by another process:

Error loading IApplication: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'umbraco.content' threw an exception. ---> System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'C:\inetpub\wwwroot\TEMP-IIS01\umbraco.config' because it is being used by another process. at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath) at System.IO.File.Delete(String path) at umbraco.content.DeleteXmlCache() at umbraco.content.LoadContent() at umbraco.content.CheckXmlContentPopulation() --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at umbraco.content.add_AfterUpdateDocumentCache(DocumentCacheEventHandler value) at umbraco.LibraryCacheRefresher..ctor() --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandleInternal& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck) at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache) at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceDefaultCtor(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache) at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic) at umbraco.BusinessLogic.Application.RegisterIApplications()

I am slightly confused by this message as I have set ContinouslyUpdateXmlDiskCache to false so therefore umbraco.config does not even exist at this location and should not be being used at all.

If anyone can shed some light on this issue it would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Jun 11, 2012 @ 10:32
    Paul Hulatt

Still getting this issue on my site and it seems to occur when batch processes are being used such as using ZipUpload or Gecko Uploadify to import multiple media items.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

• Simon Dingley 1470 posts 3427 karma points c-trib
    Jun 11, 2012 @ 11:22
    Simon Dingley

Perhaps those packages are calling a method that attempts to force a refresh of the XML Cache?

Jun 11, 2012 @ 11:57
    Paul Hulatt

Thanks for your reply Simon but even if this were the case, I have got ContinouslyUpdateXmlDiskCache set to false and therefore umbraco.config does not exist so it should not even be possible to lock it.

Paul

• Simon Dingley 1470 posts 3427 karma points c-trib
    Jun 11, 2012 @ 12:32
    Simon Dingley

Without diving into the core I don't know for sure the inner workings of this but it's posisble that the ContinouslyUpdateXmlDiskCache configuration option may only apply to standard publish events. That said, I've looked at your original error again and strangely it is referring to the umbraco.config file being in what looks like the root of your site rather than the app_data folder which is a bit odd and possibly something to  look at?

Jul 05, 2012 @ 12:18
    Paul Hulatt

It would be great if someone who works on the core could comment or shed some light on this potential issue.

The location of umbraco.config is correct, it is because each server in the farm holds it locally rather than on the SAN where all other files are located.

Jul 09, 2012 @ 16:12
    Paul Hulatt

BUMP!

• Jeff Herald 5 posts 35 karma points
    Jul 09, 2012 @ 21:10
    Jeff Herald

I'll take a stab at it...

try also setting XmlContentCheckForDiskChanges in umbracoSettings.config to false

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft