Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Damon Bauer 48 posts 95 karma points
    Jun 26, 2012 @ 21:55
    Damon Bauer

Creating a File Resource Library

I'm looking for some help to build a "Resource Library" of a couple hundred files (PDF, DOC, DOCX). Some of the files require a login while others do not.

I'd like to display the files in an accordion by category (the top level of an accordion), then under each main category, display a subcategory, and finally, the available files.

I've got it set up right now following the tutorial "Creating Reusable Content" (http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/how-tos/creating-reusable-content) but it will get cumbersome having to scroll through a checkboxlist a few hundred options long; not to mention, the titles of the files could be very similar, so it would be difficult to distinguish what file is what.

So my question is: what is the best way to display a few hundred files in an accordion with some being log-in protected?

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Jun 27, 2012 @ 09:04
    Richard Soeteman

Hi,

I would use the Media library for that and then list the folder/ file structure either by using the Media objects or  search based using Examine. 

Using the media objects you find information here and here for an XSLT example

The only thing is those items are not protected by default. I wrote the media protect package to solve that problem. It allows you to use the public access dialog on media to protect documents and once you protect a document the user will be redirected to a login page when he/she doesn't have access. It comes with a small library to that allows you to check if a user has access to a certain node before showing it in the overview. Below a snippet how to check if the current user has access to the media.

MediaProtect.Library.Library.HasAccess(media.Id, media.Path);

Hope this helps you a bit,

Richard

• Biagio Paruolo 1595 posts 1826 karma points c-trib
    Jun 27, 2012 @ 15:36
    Biagio Paruolo

Which is the erroneus search of Examine? It's index DOC,PDF,XLS and so?

Is it possibile to use MS Search Server?

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10091 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jun 27, 2012 @ 15:42
    Ismail Mayat

Biagio,

For examine there is pdf indexer. For other formats you would need to create your own indexer.  With regards to ms search server see http://kenny.no/archive/2008/9/25/microsoft-search-server-express-2008-and-umbraco its a bit old but principles are there.

Regards

Ismail

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft