Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Philip 59 posts 73 karma points
    Jul 09, 2012 @ 08:31
    Philip

UComponent datatypes in Macros

I am trying to use uComponents multi-node picker from a Macro, but it seems like the macro datatypes are not the same as the ones for a document (why?). I read this old post: http://forum.umbraco.org/yaf_postst2224_Extending-macro-datatype.aspx, which makes me believe that I won't be able to use uComponents datatypes for Macros. Do I really need to create my own multi-node treepicker to be able to use it in a Macro?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jul 09, 2012 @ 12:33
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Phillip

Can you describe your usecase a bit more detailed? I want to make sure that I understand your issue fully before I post a reply.

Do you mean like why it can't be selected as a parameter on a macro for instance? Or?

Looking forward to hear more from you.

/Jan

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Jul 09, 2012 @ 12:44
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Philip,

It is possible to develop a macro parameter based on a uComponents data-type control. However the difficulty is that the majority of the uComponents data-types require configuration (in the prevalue editor) to set the up.

e.g. Using a Multi-Node Tree Picker as a macro parameter, how would you define whether it uses Content or Media? What is the starting node? Can you limit the number of selected items?

If we were to develop the controls as macro parameters, we could ship with pre-defined configuration options - but then there will always be an edge-case of "can it do this?".

I do think is it a great idea and would love to see uComponents data-types useable as macro parameters... we are open to any suggestions on it.

Cheers, Lee.

Jul 09, 2012 @ 12:45
    Philip

Hi Jan,

I will try to elaborate.

I have created a macro, for which I would like to use the uComponent multi-node tree picker as a parameter. Actually, I would like to use a regular content picker for where I can choose which folders, the macro should be able to pull content for, and the multi-node tree picker works well for this. If there was a content picker, for which you could describe in which folder it should be able to pull content from, it would work as well.

After creating my custom Data Type from the uComponent multi-node tree picker, I thought I could use this type as datatype in the Macro Parameters, but this is not the case.

My questions is therefore, if I need to inherit from the macro interface and implement the property myself, or if there is another way to use my uComponent datatype for a macro parameter type?

Update: Just saw Lee's message after I typed this answer.

Jul 09, 2012 @ 13:34
    Philip

Hi Lee,

I understand the difficulties finding the context, but couldn't it just be the place where it is inserted? 

On a completely different note; On the uComponents page (http://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/ucomponents) there is a listing of the components, but Macro Container is not part thereof. Is there some documentation how this type is used, somewhere hidden on the documentation page?

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Jul 09, 2012 @ 13:39
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Philip,

The Macro Container data-type isn't part of uComponents.

As for documentation, I know there is an Umbraco.tv video tutorial, (which you need a subscription for), not sure if there is any other documentation for it.

http://umbraco.com/help-and-support/video-tutorials/umbraco-fundamentals/datatypes/using-the-macro-container-datatype

With the macro parameters... I'll give it some thought, might be able to come up with a solution. Although, just so I don't forget about this (and/or it drops down my to-do list) - would you be so kind as to open a new ticket on our CodePlex site? http://ucomponents.codeplex.com/WorkItem/Create

Thanks, Lee.

Jul 09, 2012 @ 13:42
    Philip

Hi Lee,

I will ofcourse create a ticket, thanks for you time.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft