Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Emil Rasmussen 67 posts 91 karma points
    Sep 14, 2012 @ 09:37
    Emil Rasmussen

Random unhandled UnauthorizedAccessException on umbraco.config causes IIS to crash

Hi

On a medium/large site running Umbraco 4.8.1 we have one or two IIS Worker Process (w3wp.exe) crashes per day.

The site works, so it's not a permission problem per say. I'm suspecting a locking issue, but I'm not sure in what direction to look. From searching the forum the following areas could be worth looking into:

Anybody have some experience to share?

From event viewer I can see the following error description:

An unhandled exception occurred and the process was terminated.

Application ID: /LM/W3SVC/2/ROOT

Process ID: 8280

Exception: System.UnauthorizedAccessException

Message: Access to the path '.....App_Data\umbraco.config' is denied.

StackTrace:    at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.File.SetAttributes(String path, FileAttributes fileAttributes)

at umbraco.content.DeleteXmlCache()

at umbraco.content.PersistXmlToFile(XmlDocument xmlDoc)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean ignoreSyncCtx)

at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()    at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()

at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback()

Best regards
    Emil

• Tatexi 4 posts 26 karma points
    Sep 14, 2012 @ 11:36
    Tatexi

Having the same problem. IIS just crashed second time today. We are running Umbraco 4.7.2 + uWebShop. I can't think of any more permissions I could give to that file that we haven't given already.

An unhandled exception occurred and the process was terminated.
    Application ID: /LM/W3SVC/2/ROOT
    Process ID: 320
    Exception: System.UnauthorizedAccessException

Message: Access to the path 'C:\...\App_Data\umbraco.config' is denied.

StackTrace:    at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
       at umbraco.content.PersistXmlToFile(XmlDocument xmlDoc)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean ignoreSyncCtx)
       at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
       at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
       at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback()

• pob05 9 posts 29 karma points
    Oct 05, 2012 @ 08:14
    pob05

We're also having the exact same problem. We're running Umbraco 4.8, and have been live since september 3rd. I haven't noticed this before today when we suddenly had a major crash to the web site. Almost nothing worked. We fixed the crash by restarting the server. After the crash i examined the event log and I bumped into this error message. Don't really know if it is related to the crash, but it is the only errors we have in the event log at the moment.

Anyone with the same problem that have an idea of how to fix it? All permissions is set, it's not a permission issue.  

• Emil Rasmussen 67 posts 91 karma points
    Oct 05, 2012 @ 08:41
    Emil Rasmussen

I actually have a follow up on this issue. We had the sysadmin exclude umbraco.config from antivirus scans (the particular antivirus software is Microsoft Forefront). And amazingly that solved the problem - at least the random IIS crashes has stopped.

Perhaps Umbraco could be made more robust in handling locking issues with the umbraco.config file? I have opened an issue: http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-953

Best regards
    Emil

• Tatexi 4 posts 26 karma points
    Oct 05, 2012 @ 08:51
    Tatexi

No antivirus scanner on our production server.

Got also another exception with the IIS crashing from the same place:

Exception: System.IO.FileNotFoundException

Message: Could not find file 'C:\inetpub\kiuas\App_Data\umbraco.config'.

StackTrace:    at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft