Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Peter 24 posts 102 karma points
    Sep 22, 2012 @ 14:25
    Peter

Books about Umbraco

Hi Does there excists any books about using Umbraco? And are they any good? I saw this one at Amazon "Umbraco User's Guide by Nik Wahlberg and Paul Sterling" is it recommendable or outdated?  

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Sep 22, 2012 @ 14:33
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Peter

The book you mention above is actually the only book there is about Umbraco. It covers Umbraco pretty well even though some of the XSLT code examples are not best practice - but neither are those XSLT snippets that come out of the box in Umbraco.

The core concepts about what Umbraco is and how Umbraco works in general has not changed that much yet since this book was released. But the core is undergoing a lot of change now and in the future. But I still think that this book is worth the money - and maybe at some point it will be updated to reflect the future status of Umbraco API's etc.

I can also recommend umbraco.tv and don't forget to keep an eye out for the community blogs featured on the frontpage of this forum.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

• Ian Robinson 79 posts 143 karma points
    Sep 22, 2012 @ 15:54
    Ian Robinson

Hi Peter,

I agree with Jan.

I used the book you mentioned and umbraco.tv to get to know Umbraco.  On their own, each is good but not great, but if you use both, you'll get to grips with Umbraco much more quickly.

Some aspects of the book and some of the videos in umbraco.tv could do with updating but they're still great resources for learning. 

• Peter 24 posts 102 karma points
    Sep 22, 2012 @ 17:35
    Peter

Thanks for your replies

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft