Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Cyberherbalist 2 posts 22 karma points
    Oct 02, 2012 @ 01:05
    Cyberherbalist

How can you tell if a site is using Umbraco?

I've been trying to decide which CMS to commit to in a new business venture, and for various reasons I am attracted to Umbraco.  In order to help make a decision I am trying to find as many sites as possible that use Umbraco, so I can see what has been done.  There are some that are showcased on umbraco.com, but there are a few sites around that look like they could be Umbraco, but there's no evidence for it that I can see.

Are there any characteristics visible in the page source that I could look for and be able to tell with a high degree of confidence that it was generated by Umbraco?

I know of course that it has to be ASP.NET, so that's the first step.  But is there anything Umbraco-specific?

And does anyone know if Angie's List is run on Umbraco?

• Phillip Ng 148 posts 250 karma points
    Oct 02, 2012 @ 06:57
    Phillip Ng

Hi Cyberherbalist

Generally, image paths follow this syntax "/media/[number]/[imageName]" I am not very familiar with all the CMSs or blogging platforms out there, but this should be fairly unique to Umbraco. This doesn't mean though, that the images couldn't be off-loaded to a CDN. Looking at the Angies List site, I would guess it isn't Umbraco. Cheers!

• Paul Blair 466 posts 731 karma points
    Oct 02, 2012 @ 09:10
    Paul Blair

try typing /umbraco/login.aspx at the end of the URL?

• David Verberckmoes 46 posts 77 karma points
    Oct 02, 2012 @ 09:39
    David Verberckmoes

Hi,

you can look at the response header X-Umbraco-Version, it will show you which umbraco version the website is running. Altough it can be disabled in the umbracosettings.config and it has been removed since 4.8.1 (http://our.umbraco.org/forum/using/ui-questions/20552-remove-the-umbraco-http-header?p=1)

Rgds,

David

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft