Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jagpreet 4 posts 24 karma points
    Nov 30, 2012 @ 13:47
    Jagpreet

Pitfalls of MVC 4 Application using Umbraco (without template pages)

I am starting a wesbite based on the following article:

http://www.aaron-powell.com/umbraco/using-mvc-in-umbraco-4

This allows me to use asp.net MVC with normal controller->model->views flow. There is no SurfaceController or RenderMvcContoller or any other umbraco specific code which can mess my code. All of  my views, layout pages and controller are not aware of umbraco at all. 

I will setup doc types in umbraco and content nodes for those doc types (no templates or macros).

I will get the corresponding content node's data in my view's controller using umbraco API. e.g.:

var node = umbraco.getmenode(xyz); //some umbraco api 

ViewBag.BodyText  = node.getPropertyValue("bodyText");

I like this approach because umbraco only serves as a backend service which gets me the data. It does not interfere with my views or controller.

Please keep in mind that we don't mind losing out on all the umbraco's built-in goodies. Our mail goal is to keep things in our control. I do understand that I need to code everything on my own. But maybe thats not a bad thing.

What I am afraid of is that this custom approach can backfire anytime and since I am not at all experienced with umbraco, I am not sure what those are.

Please let me know about the evils of this technique.

Thanks,

Jags

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft