Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Corey Sherman 55 posts 127 karma points
    Dec 06, 2012 @ 22:06
    Corey Sherman

Issue updating from 4.9.1 to 4.10.1

I was updating a site from 4.9.1 to 4.10.1 and ran into a big issue.  I cannot access anything on the backend or the frontend of the site now.  I only get this:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       umbraco.UmbracoDefault.OnPreInit(EventArgs e) +23
       System.Web.UI.Page.PerformPreInit() +31
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +328

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.272

Request Details

Session Id: cjflikbfapl5bxmhtr42e5gf Request Type: GET
    Time of Request: 12/6/2012 12:16:32 PM Status Code: 500
    Request Encoding: Unicode (UTF-8) Response Encoding: Unicode (UTF-8)

Trace Information

CategoryMessageFrom First(s)From Last(s)
    aspx.page Begin PreInit    
    Unhandled Execution Error

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
      at umbraco.UmbracoDefault.OnPreInit(EventArgs e)
      at System.Web.UI.Page.PerformPreInit()
      at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Can anyone help? What did I do?

• Corey Sherman 55 posts 127 karma points
    Dec 07, 2012 @ 02:31
    Corey Sherman

On this episode of blowing up your Umbraco install...

The problems I had after updating were a result of tumbling down the wrong rabbit hole.  Ends up I was trying to use two different versions of log4net (one in a control I wrote, and one that comes with the new version of Umbraco) and that was causing all sorts of issues.  Going through the update per the instructions and merging the config changes did the trick.

• DetonatorB 17 posts 40 karma points
    Jan 28, 2013 @ 16:47
    DetonatorB

Thanks.

I had overwritten the log4net.dll with a new one and apparantly that's a big no-no.
    All was well after returning the original (v.4.11.1) log4net.dll.

thanks for the feedback Corey!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft