Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Matthew 93 posts 153 karma points
    Dec 21, 2012 @ 21:35
    Matthew

Editing code, the cursor position is off by a line in IE9

When editing code in a template or script, the cursor position shows up one or two lines below the one where it actually is. I noticed this in a 4.9 site and ended up using FF for a while, then it inexplicably went away. Now I see the same thing happening in a new 4.11 site.

Any clues to what's happening? It must be me, or else I think it'd be a common topic on the forum. Either that or I'm the only total MS slut that doesn't like to crack open FF until I need FireBug.

Thanks much.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Dec 22, 2012 @ 12:35
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Matthew

I think the reason people don't notirce is probably because most use other code editors than those built into Umbraco. I recommend that you use a code editor like visual studio to edit your code - if you don't need to do any c# programming at all then you could use an editor like sublime text for instance :)

If you consider the above a bug you're also more than welcome to submit it on the issue tracker here: http://issues.umbraco.org/issues/U4

/Jan

• Matthew 93 posts 153 karma points
    Dec 22, 2012 @ 19:47
    Matthew

Thank you Jan.  Does writing some Razor scripts make using VS worthwhile?  I thought there were a lot of web-weenies like me using Umbo instead of WordMess.  If not, there should be.  What a marketing opportunity...   I've never gotten to 3rd base with an U/VS setup, guess I'll have to bump that up on the to-do.  Thanks again.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Dec 23, 2012 @ 11:14
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Matthew

I think that any kind of code you write makes sense to write in a proper editor rather than using those built into Umbraco. The in-built tools can be usefull if you don't have access to the file-system but only have a login for Umbraco and you need to change some code on the site. However this is really not a best practice since most developers are using some sort of version control - so editing code on a live site means that the changes are not saved in source control and then the changes probably gets lost next time someone does a build to the live-site.

So yes I really think you should edit your code outside of Umbraco and yes it makes sense. If I remember correctly you should be able to benefit from using intellisense, which suggests functions etc. as you write your code (I'm really mostly an XSLT guy so have not been doing that much Razor yet) :).

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft