Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Johan 38 posts 88 karma points
    Jan 03, 2013 @ 12:00
    Johan

Swedish characters in url (å,ä,ö) ?

Swedish characters in url (å,ä,ö) ?

How do you configure this in Umbraco 4.2?

I need this to work www.wise.se/rekryteringsföretag  But how should it be done in Umbraco 4.2?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 05, 2013 @ 12:49
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Johan

Why do you need to allow these special swedish chars in the url? Usually these rewrites for special chars like this are made to make sure nothing is messed up when acessing it...

But if you have a look at the umbracoSettings.config in the config folder you will see a section called <requesthandler> here there is a section called <urlreplacing> where there is a lot of rules for replacing different characters. Here you can uncomment those that account for swedish characters.

But I don't recommend doing it since it can cause trouble if the server is not configured correctly etc.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Jan 05, 2013 @ 20:45
    Johan

this is for SEO reasons only, I'll make sure the server is correctly configured, Tanks Jan!

Jan 05, 2013 @ 23:36
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Johan

Ok, that's all good then :)

But am I wrong if something in the back of my mind tells me that certain browsers can potentially also choke on these special chars? (Must admit I usually avoid danish special chars like æ,ø and å because of weird issues you have to take into account).

Btw, remember to mark the post a solved if it gave you the correct answer please :)

I forgot to mention above that you might need to touch the web.config file or recycle the app pool in order for the changes to take effect.

/Jan

Jan 05, 2013 @ 23:51
    Johan

Hi again Jan

If a big site like Wikipedia runs url with special characters and the vast majority of updated browser all can take care of it i am not worried at all. My client wants swedish characters just like the once that exist on wikipedia

http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affärssystem

Jan 05, 2013 @ 23:53
    Jan Skovgaard

That's indeed a good point :)

/Jan

• Paul Blair 466 posts 731 karma points
    Jan 06, 2013 @ 23:38
    Paul Blair

Hi Johan,

The situation I had was that Umbraco was rendering the URL's correctly but depending on your browser settings the URL might get encoded. To get it to display with the encoded characters in Chrome go to Settings -> Languages and make sure Swedish is one of the listed languages.

I don't recall changing anything in Umbraco but it was a while ago so I may have forgotten... All I need to do is create the node using the Swedish characters. See http://www.luxuniversum.com/BÖCKERNA for an example.

Cheers

Paul

Jan 07, 2013 @ 14:18
    Johan

Hi Paul

so this site www.luxuniversum.com/BÖCKERNA is an Umbraco site? Nice, sweet, perfect that is what I need. How did you change the configuration of your installation to make this work www.wise.se/rekryteringsföretag

the thing with the browser setting I am familiar with. It is a view thing only from the user perspective. But how did you configure the Umbraco installation?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft