Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Brian 7 posts 27 karma points
    Feb 01, 2013 @ 14:57
    Brian

newb questions about general approach

Hi 

Sorry to be a newb but I have spent a reasonable ammount of time trying to find answers to some generally questions. Before I start just let me say Umbraco looks brilliant and very much something Im looking forward to working with so please dont take any of these questions negatively I really do want to know the answers. I am a c# asp.net developer with 10 years experience developing so pretty familiar with the technology stack.

So questions

1. What are the plans for retiring ver 4, I saw a new release today is this just to allow the large volume of ver 4 users to keep their sites going or is it being actively developed?

2. Am I wrong that you cannot create "templates" using Razor (other than embedding a razor macro) so you cant use master pages that are razor based?

3. Ive looked at the starter business website starter kit in the new 6.0 release and I can see the blog is doing some magic somewhere so that the blog posts content is getting saved into the blog data items body. I cannot see any macro that achieves this and I presume somehow the blog engine is a dll loaded in that is hooking into the editor api in some way. Id like to see an example of the kind of code that is achieving this so I can understand whats involved in writing custom extensions

4. I havent seen anything conclusive about how you can create your own mvc controllers (if for some reason you want to) is there anything for this?

5. When is it reasonable to expect any real documentation for 6.0? I know only too well how much we all enjoy writing it I just want to get an idea what is a likely timeframe from past experience
    Thanks for any questions you can answer
    Brian

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 01, 2013 @ 17:33
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Brian and welcome to our :)

Let me see if I can provide you some usefull answers.

1: With the release of Umbraco 6 yesterday Umbraco 4 is no longer actively being developed. Unless some critical bugs are found that needs to be fixed for instance. But there will be no new features. You can see the release cycle and what to expect in coming version on the roadmap here: http://our.umbraco.org/contribute/roadmap - So if everything goes as planned we'll see a release of Umbraco 7 in June. But as mentioned I think older versions will have patch releases if critical issues are being found since it's not always an option to just upgrade to a new version.

2: Yes you're wrong :) since Umbraco 4.10 it's been possible to switch the engine from masterpages to MVC. Out of the box masterpages are active but you can change to MVC by changing this <defaultRenderingEngine>WebForms</defaultRenderingEngine> from "WebForms" to "MVC".

You'll need to recycle the app pool or touch the web.config file after changing this to see the changes take effect - but after that voila, you have MVC support :)

3: Must admit it's been a while since I've had a look at the start kits. However I'm confident that the magic happens because there is some code either in the app_code folder or in a .dll file that hooks into the AfterSave event for instance to make sure nodes created under that particular node is saved into datefolders. Perhaps there also is a config file for it in the /config folder.

4: Yes you're able to create your own custom MVC controller...and you're also able to create a surface controller. You can read more about that in here http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/reference/mvc/surface-controllers (Note this documentation refers to Umbraco 4.10...I think the approach is the same in 6 - otherwise keep an eye out for the Umbraco 6 documentation here http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Reference/)

5: See the links above :)

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Feb 01, 2013 @ 17:38
    Brian

Brilliant thanks Jan

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 01, 2013 @ 17:52
    Jan Skovgaard

You're very welcome - please feel free to ask further questions when they arise - As you can hopefully sense we're a friendly bunch of people just wanting to help each other out.

/Jan

Feb 03, 2013 @ 13:32
    Brian

ok getting there, another quick question:

The blog seems to use Runway.Blog is there source code available for this? I want to see whats involved in writing a package as complex as this so we can access umbraco as a development platform

Thanks

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft