Marcus

Missing DLL files from bin folder

Hello!

Umbraco version: 4.11.3
    ASP.Net: 4.0
    Windows 7 64-bit
    IIS Express through Visual Studio 2012
    Stack trace: Below

Problem: Ok so i was running an umbraco project that was running fine with no problems at all during development. I could run it through the IIS Express with no problem at all. When it was time for me to move the project to the deploy server i ran into problems.

I couldnt get the umbraco running on the IIS Server so i decided to go back to the development machine and debug the process to be able to get an understanding. So i hit F5 in VS 2012 to fire up the project but it wont start. Getting the same problem as on the server.

So i go to my umbraco/bin folder to look for the dll and i find out that its missing, just gone. I check an old copy of my projekt and i find that i have 9 missing dll's in my current projekt. The ones missing are:

CookComputing.XmlRpcV2.dll
    Examine.dll
    HtmlAgilityPack.dll
    ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.dll
    log4net.dll
    Lucene.Net.dll
    MySql.Data.dll
    TidyNet.dll
    umbraco.XmlSerializers.dll

How is this possible that dll's just go missing? I havent touched my development machine since it last ran fine. The only thing i can think of when it happened was when i copied the content to another folder. But that just seems strange.

Anyone know what this can be?

[FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'log4net, Version=1.2.11.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.]
       Umbraco.Core.Logging.LogHelper.Info(Type type, String generateMessageFormat, Func`1[] formatItems) +0
       Umbraco.Core.CoreBootManager.Initialize() +59
       Umbraco.Web.WebBootManager.Initialize() +16
       Umbraco.Web.UmbracoApplication.Application_Start(Object sender, EventArgs e) +70

[HttpException (0x80004005): Could not load file or assembly 'log4net, Version=1.2.11.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.]
       System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.EnsureAppStartCalledForIntegratedMode(HttpContext context, HttpApplication app) +9024793
       System.Web.HttpApplication.RegisterEventSubscriptionsWithIIS(IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context, MethodInfo[] handlers) +131
       System.Web.HttpApplication.InitSpecial(HttpApplicationState state, MethodInfo[] handlers, IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context) +194
       System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetSpecialApplicationInstance(IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context) +339
       System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.InitializeApplication(IntPtr appContext) +253

[HttpException (0x80004005): Could not load file or assembly 'log4net, Version=1.2.11.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.]
       System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +8946484
       System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureFirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +97
       System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationPrivate(IIS7WorkerRequest wr, HttpContext context) +256

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 04, 2013 @ 18:24
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Marcus and welcome to our :)

Are you using some kind of version control? And are there other developers who have access to your code?

Something must have been done manually in order for this to happen - I've never heard of files just dissapearing by themselves.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

/Jan

• Marcus 2 posts 22 karma points
    Feb 05, 2013 @ 09:17
    Marcus

Hey Jan, and thanks.

First, i'm the sole developer of this project so no one could've removed the files.

Anyway, the matter seems the be resolved now as the site is working again. But the events still amazes me.

So yesterday i listed which *.dll files i was missing right, i tried copying the old *.dll files to my current project to try and get it to run. But only the umbraco startscreen showed up and told me that nothing was published on the website yet, which is also strange... anyhow.

Today i gave it another shot, copied over the missing *.dll files and tried reaching the page... and it worked flawless. Like nothing ever happened.

I'm confused but happy that it works, heh.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft