Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Brian Patton 33 posts 103 karma points
    Feb 14, 2013 @ 20:25
    Brian Patton

Wordpress style menu creation in umbraco?

Say what you will about wordpress, but one part of their system that works really really well is the nav/menu creation.  Was wondering if anyone knows of any packages/ideas to replicate their system into Umbraco?

Basically, I want to be able to use something similar to the MNTP, with the ability to change the hierarchy of the pages, create static/custom links and have them added to the list as well.

The idea is that the user would be able to build out their own custom menu for top nav or sidebar when relying on the structure of the node tree doesn't suffice for what they want to display.

• Nigel Wilson 944 posts 2076 karma points
    Feb 14, 2013 @ 20:37
    Nigel Wilson

Hi Brian

I have had experience with Wordpress and whilst Umbraco is my definite preference, I do agree that some features are worthy of mention...

In some respects converting the Wordpress nav/menu functionality to Umbraco is potentially as simple as creating just another site tree of nodes.

You could have the main site tree for the actual site content, and then another tree for your alternate navigations, with nodes, sub nodes, etc.

Then you woudl simply need to develop the code, maybe using a macro with a content picker for the parameter. This would enable you to pick which custom navigation to use whereever you wanted within the site, even within the richtext editor if desired.

In terms of the types of links within your custom navigation, I think the best idea would be to have specific document types for each type of link, e.g. internal page, external link, document link, etc and therefore your code could easily cope with the different types / properties.

Hope this provides some food for thought.

Cheers, Nigel

• Brian Patton 33 posts 103 karma points
    Feb 14, 2013 @ 20:48
    Brian Patton

Nigel,

Thanks so much!  I hadn't considered that approach, and that is exactly how I will proceed.  That's what I love about Umbraco ... flexibility and a community that helps each other out!

Cheers,
    Brian 

• Nigel Wilson 944 posts 2076 karma points
    Feb 14, 2013 @ 20:59
    Nigel Wilson

Hi Brian

Pleased to help out

I have had a huge amount of help and support in the past 4 years, so it is cool to be able to help out others from time to time.

Happy coding...

Nigel

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft