Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15478 karma points MVP admin hq
    Sep 02, 2009 @ 10:17
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Save user bug

I think I've just ran into a bug:

I have just created a new backend user and saved it. Then I figured that I forgot to give them access to the media section, so: edit, save... nothing happens.

As it turns out, I was getting an invisible error: Passwords must match.

Re-entering the password helped and I could save the user. 

Password validation should be skipped when I haven't clicked "Change password", right?

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Sep 02, 2009 @ 10:36
    Dirk De Grave

Sebastiaan,

I've experienced same issue, must be due to fact that browser prepopulates your password field with browser saved data (i mean, once you've instructed your browser to remember your password - both Firefox and Chrome offer this functionality), but only the first password box is filled.

Cheers,

/Dirk

Sep 02, 2009 @ 10:42
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Ah, that's good to know! Yes, I do indeed have password saving always on.

So in that case, it seems to me that if only one password field is filled in, it should still ignore validation.

Either that, or make the error visible when it's there, don't hide the error behind the "change password" field.

• Niels Hartvig 1951 posts 2391 karma points c-trib
    Sep 02, 2009 @ 10:44
    Niels Hartvig

It's probably because you have an add-on that automatically add your default password in one field (ie. a browser AutoFill). Anyone knows how we can disable that on an element?

Sep 02, 2009 @ 11:54
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Ah yes, turning autocomplete off would be best. I have not researched how different browsers handle this but you can use autocomplete="off"

Can I also suggest that this property gets added to the ultimate picker's AutoSuggest feature, the autocomplete was annoying me there as well.

• Pete 152 posts 176 karma points
    Sep 21, 2009 @ 12:10
    Pete

How does one go about adding autocomplete="off" to the User CMS control? 

Happy to just be pointed at the doco for it - can't seem to find it myself.

Sep 21, 2009 @ 13:07
    Pete

Likewise the Members/Accounts section - this is proving very frustrating for our clients.

Sep 23, 2009 @ 05:38
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Peter, click the link in my previous reply. However, to implement a fix, you'd have to change the Umbraco source, not really something I would recommend as your fix would probably break on the next upgrade.

I don't really understand why it would be so frustrating, how often do you change the user's information?

If it's really that bad, tell the clients to turn off autocomplete in their browser, if they don't want to give up autocompletion, they could use another, dedicated, browser to do Umbraco backend stuff and turn off the autocomplete in that browser.

Nov 05, 2009 @ 18:27
    Pete

Apologies for bumping an old thread but I've just re-read this and realised why this might have been confusing. 

The bug occurs for our users in the MEMBERS section, not the Users section. Obviously this is a nightmare as it makes it impossible to save a Member without altering the member's password. 

• Shannon 6 posts 26 karma points
    May 03, 2010 @ 10:00
    Shannon

Look like no-one solved this problem yet.

Here the solution:

Go to /umbraco/controls/passwordChanger.ascx

And add autocomplete="off" in both <asp:TextBox ID="umbPasswordChanger_passwordNew" and <asp:TextBox ID="umbPasswordChanger_passwordNewConfirm"

AutoCompleteType="none" don't work in most browser.

Cheers,

Shannon

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft