Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jørgen Bakke Eriksen 44 posts 95 karma points
    Mar 04, 2013 @ 19:14
    Jørgen Bakke Eriksen

URL Rewrite: remove a URL part

Apologize if this has been asked and resolved before but I need a quick answer to this. We have recently changed a site to a multisite. This has changed all the URLs on the site from 

<domain>/<url>

to

<domain>/content/<url>

since there is a new top level node fore each site

My question is if it is possible to hide the content-part of the URL by means of Umbraco configuration or if this is IIS-food. Isn't umbracoNavihide just a way to tag nodes not visible so that there is a possibility of not showing them in navigation, or does this also remove them from the umbraco.config/XML-representation of the site?

I actually experimented with URL rewrite in IIS 7.5 today and managed to create an outbound rule which was removed the content-part of the URL. The problem is to create an inbound rule which is able to translate back to <domain>/content/<url>. Otherwise we only get 404s.

Any help is much appreciated.

• Jørgen Bakke Eriksen 44 posts 95 karma points
    Mar 08, 2013 @ 15:36
    Jørgen Bakke Eriksen

Just wanted to update you on this, since I hate finding unanswered forum posts for problems one might run into.

We ended up solving this with the IIS URL Rewrite module. We had to create both an outbound and inbound rule.

The outbound rule changes all urls from <domain>/content/<url> to <domain>/<url>. That was the easy part.

The inbound rule translates all urls except css, js, images, media, umbraco, umbraco_client from <domain>/<url> to <domain>/content/<url>. This was the tricky part as we had to set up a pattern to match URLs below root, and create an exception to this in order to not touch the URLs mentioned above. The rewrite URL was set up with a back reference to the original request URI

If interested you can contact me for details about the solution.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft