Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Cristi Vulturar 7 posts 27 karma points
    Sep 05, 2009 @ 12:48
    Cristi Vulturar

Content Tree not loading

Hi,

I have the following problem on my umbraco website: on localhost everything works fine, but after I copied the site to the provider, when I login into umbraco I can see only the Content node in the content tree. Nothing is loaded there, if I click the item nothing happens, and also I cannot create anything under it. I have umbraco v 4.0.1.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Sep 05, 2009 @ 12:52
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Cristi

When you write you have copied the site how have you then done this? Have you exported and imported the different document types manually or have you just copied the contents of the database or?

/Jan

Sep 05, 2009 @ 12:58
    Cristi Vulturar

I copied all files through ftp, then restored the database.

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Sep 05, 2009 @ 13:28
    Dirk De Grave

Ha, re-check all permissions, as copying through ftp may cause permissions to be incorrect! Please re-apply the required permissions settings.

Cheers,

/Dirk

Sep 05, 2009 @ 13:50
    Cristi Vulturar

I have done that on all folders, but the problem is still there.

• Chris Koiak 700 posts 2626 karma points
    Sep 05, 2009 @ 13:51
    Chris Koiak

The tree is loaded in via an ajax call. Watch the call via Firebug and check the error.

Sep 05, 2009 @ 14:02
    Cristi Vulturar

In the response I get only this, there is no error displayed:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <tree />
    Sep 05, 2009 @ 14:05
    Cristi Vulturar

If I try to create a node under Content I get this js error:

parent.openDashboard is not a function

• Chris Koiak 700 posts 2626 karma points
    Sep 05, 2009 @ 14:39
    Chris Koiak

are there any 404 errors happening? I remember a similar post that ended up being a 64bit server problem.... is it a 64bit OS?

Sep 05, 2009 @ 15:15
    Cristi Vulturar

Everything works perfect in the frontpage, I don't encounter any problems there. I don't this the server is on 64 bits, when I setup the first version of the site it was working ok, but now the contenttree isn't loading even after I setup the whole site again.

• Tom Holland 283 posts 40 karma points
    Sep 08, 2009 @ 20:33
    Tom Holland

I also have this problem from time to time, often after I've added a new dll to the bin and the site recompiles. I've not found a reliable way to force the tree to reload, it seems to reappear sometimes after I touch the web.config, sometimes after I make a .dll change, and other times (like right now), it won't come back at all.

When I watched treeinit.aspx in firebug, it returned 200 with an empty tree node.

• cp 21 posts 42 karma points
    Sep 24, 2009 @ 03:22
    cp

Chris,

I'm having the same problem. Did you ever find a solution?

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Sep 24, 2009 @ 06:55
    Aaron Powell

Easiest way to find out what is causing the problem with trees not loading is to use Firebug (or a proxy interceptor like Fiddler or Charles) and observe the response from the TreeService request (I think it's called TreeService, it'll show a 500 response if there was an error though)

• titorge 14 posts 28 karma points
    Sep 24, 2009 @ 07:34
    titorge

I had this problem too ( ver 4.0.0 ?). My solution to the problem you can find here: http://forum.umbraco.org/yaf_postst7362p3_Content-tree-remains-empty.aspx

• Alex Kørup 17 posts 39 karma points
    Sep 30, 2009 @ 12:46
    Alex Kørup

Hi,

I'm also experiencing this error. Using Firebug i can se that this request:

tree.aspx?rnd=5f4a0638-dc8e-4eb5-8c3c-0e2a8442b706&id=-1&contextMenu=true&isDialog=false&app=content

returns:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <tree />

I'm running on  4.0.2.1.  And I therefore assume the "fix" discussed in the old forum pointed to by titorge doesn't apply to my newer version!?

What really confuses me is that the site has been running for approx a month without this error. But now it is consistent for all users trying to log in to Umbraco...

Is this a MySQL specific error regarding casing?

What to do? Any suggestions are highly appreciated! Thanks.

Regards

Alex

• Alex Kørup 17 posts 39 karma points
    Sep 30, 2009 @ 14:32
    Alex Kørup

Update on my previous post: Miraculously the menu now loads fine! It seems to be by chance, but what I've done in the mean time includes:

1. Logging into MySQL admin, and checking the collation-setting. This was set to unicode_general_ci (Case Insensitive). Not that this matters because the Tables are still saved case-sensitive i guess... And I made no changes anyway.
    2. Logging in to another Umbraco installation (same host, and also on MySQL database). The menu loaded fine here.

When I tried to first installation again, the menu loaded. Weird.

Is this a bug in Umbraco? Can this behaviour be isolated to be case-sensitive, or regarding some security issue perpaps?

/Alex

• Sander Houttekier 114 posts 163 karma points
    Apr 30, 2010 @ 11:40
    Sander Houttekier

Really need to figure out what this is

as i just happen to stumble on this problem also,

very annoying as i am sitting in front of a client, trying to tell him we want to use umbraco for his project

and all he see's is 6 section buttons which have an empty tree so almost nothing can be done...

i tried restarting the website in IIS
    i touched the web.config
    i checked file settings though i was sure that was not the issue
    i am using umbraco 4.1 beta 2 (where the tree is using json now, but same issue, returns [], an empty json node instead of previously an empty xml node.

hope it solves itself soon, as i have to show it to him soon :)

• Edward Dudley 80 posts 121 karma points
    Jun 20, 2010 @ 12:20
    Edward Dudley

Just to add to this...

I've just had exactly the same problems and it was due to the permissions on the data folder.

This was useful: http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/reference/files-and-folders/permissions/perform-permissions-check

• barrett breshears 1 post 21 karma points
    Aug 26, 2010 @ 18:06
    barrett breshears

I had the same problem and it was a permissions issue on the data folder as well.

• Obiwan 33 posts 67 karma points
    Oct 07, 2010 @ 01:55
    Obiwan

I had the same problem when upgrading from version 4.0.3 to version 4.5.2 using MySQL, and the tree has allways been slow to load.

The fix that worked for me was to add a new index in the DB:

/* Create Custom Index to speed up tree loading */
    CREATE INDEX IX_contentid_versiondate ON cmscontentversion(CONTENTID, VERSIONDATE);

This has now speeded up the tree loading from 50-70 seconds to 0-2 seconds on the UI and from 30-35 seconds to <1 second in the DB.

Also when upgrading from version 4.x to version 4.5 remember to run the following SQL when using mysql, it's not auto upgraded:

/* INSERT NEW MEDIA RECYCLE BIN NODE */
    /* remove auto increment so we can insert identity */
    ALTER TABLE umbraconode MODIFY COLUMN id INTEGER NOT NULL;
    INSERT INTO umbracoNode (id, trashed, parentID, nodeUser, level, path, sortOrder, uniqueID, text, nodeObjectType, createDate)
    VALUES (-21, 0, -1, 0, 0, '-1,-21', 0, 'BF7C7CBC-952F-4518-97A2-69E9C7B33842', 'Recycle Bin', 'CF3D8E34-1C1C-41e9-AE56-878B57B32113', '2009/08/28 00:28:28.920')
    ;
    /* re-add auto increment */
    ALTER TABLE umbraconode MODIFY COLUMN id INTEGER NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT;
    /* Add the mediaRecycleBin tree type */
    INSERT IGNORE INTO umbracoAppTree (treeSilent, treeInitialize, treeSortOrder, appAlias, treeAlias, treeTitle, treeIconClosed, treeIconOpen, treeHandlerAssembly, treeHandlerType)
    VALUES (0, 0, 0, 'media', 'mediaRecycleBin', 'RecycleBin', 'folder.gif', 'folder_o.gif', 'umbraco', 'cms.presentation.Trees.MediaRecycleBin')
    ;

CREATE TABLE cmsPreviewXml(
    nodeId int NOT NULL,
    versionId CHAR(36) NOT NULL,
    timestamp datetime NOT NULL,
    xml LONGTEXT NOT NULL)
    ;
    ALTER TABLE cmsPreviewXml ADD CONSTRAINT PK_cmsContentPreviewXml PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED (nodeId, versionId)
    ;

/* Create missing indexes and primary keys */
    CREATE INDEX IX_Icon ON cmsContentType(nodeId, icon)
    ;

I hope this helps you guys.

• Sjors Pals 617 posts 270 karma points
    Oct 13, 2010 @ 11:43
    Sjors Pals

I am not sure, but i had about same problem on a new 4.5.2 installation.

If wildcard mappings are on, but directoryurls=false in the web.config, then trees are also not loaded.....

Oct 14, 2010 @ 20:50
    Obiwan

I have uploaded a patch to codeplex ID: 7083, to fix the MySQL install , that contains the code + a release build of the umbraco.datalayer.dll, also the MySQL scripts can be run manually

• sonix3 8 posts 26 karma points
    Dec 17, 2010 @ 12:01
    sonix3

Hi,

I'm also ahving issues where the content tree is nto loading correctly, where can I get a hold of the Codeplex patch 7083? I can't seem to find it.

Thanks

Dec 17, 2010 @ 15:54
    Obiwan

Hi

yes, it's difficult to find the patches once they have been applied
    here is a direct link to the download http://www.codeplex.com/Project/Download/FileDownload.aspx?ProjectName=umbraco&DownloadId=157572

• Chris Knowles 141 posts 222 karma points
    Jul 04, 2011 @ 12:13
    Chris Knowles

Is there a way to force a refresh of the XML from a querystring?

After a few problems with my site,it's working but no content is appearing in the backend although the pages are there frontend.

I think refreshing the XML might sort this out.

Thanks

• Daniel Bardi 927 posts 2562 karma points
    Jul 04, 2011 @ 12:35
    Daniel Bardi

right-click 'Content' node.. select Republish entire site

Jul 04, 2011 @ 12:39
    Chris Knowles

When i right click, all i get is reload nodes, not republish entire site. In the content section all i have is the parent Content folder and nothing underneath it which is why i think i need to refresh the XML and then 'hopefully' the tree will load.

• Daniel Bardi 927 posts 2562 karma points
    Jul 04, 2011 @ 23:04
    Daniel Bardi

Try inspecting the page w/ client side debugger in browser

If you don't see the Recycle Bin, the problem is not the site cache.

Jul 05, 2011 @ 09:57
    Chris Knowles

i don't see the recycle bin even in the element inspector in chrome. 

anyone got any ideas as to how i can get the nodes back without binning the database and starting again?

Thanks

• Tom Maton 387 posts 660 karma points
    Jul 05, 2011 @ 10:57
    Tom Maton

I get the same issue, but looking further into the inspector in Chrome I get the error.

"No node exists with id '-20'"

Go know what this is as I thought the root id was -1?

Tom

• Najro 12 posts 32 karma points
    Nov 21, 2011 @ 11:53
    Najro

Had this problem after restoring database to web server. As pointed out earlier in this thread, touching the web.config solved it for me.

• Mysterious 27 posts 47 karma points
    Apr 20, 2013 @ 14:52
    Mysterious

Hi,

I am having the same problem all trees in each tab is not loading at all, the website is working fine on my pc, and it is working fine on the webserver but the tree in the content, users, media, setting,... is not loading at all, I installed firebug and see this error in the console

http://www.mydomain.com/umbraco/webservices/TreeDataService.ashx?rnd=5dd3cf684dea455a84aa94c1c50a69ae&id=-1&contextMenu=true&isDialog=false&app=developer&rnd2=75.9

XML content is:

XML Parsing Error: no element found Location: moz-nullprincipal:{5788140d-d032-4d92-a67e-c9fc9a7f3083} Line Number 1, Column 1:
    ^

same error in chrome browser says:

GET http://www.mydomain.com/umbraco/webservices/TreeDataService.ashx?rnd=628ceb3…5a506c17ea&id=-1&treeType=content&contextMenu=true&isDialog=false&rnd2=0.4 404 (Not Found) DependencyHandler.axd:2
    send DependencyHandler.axd:2
    f.extend.ajax DependencyHandler.axd:2
    load DependencyHandler.axd:328
    open_branch DependencyHandler.axd:196
    _loadChildNodes DependencyHandler.axd:390
    onLoad DependencyHandler.axd:384
    options.callback.onload DependencyHandler.axd:399
    callback DependencyHandler.axd:237
    reselect DependencyHandler.axd:168
    (anonymous function) DependencyHandler.axd:163
    parse DependencyHandler.axd:313
    (anonymous function) DependencyHandler.axd:163
    $.ajax.success DependencyHandler.axd:328
    o DependencyHandler.axd:2
    p.fireWith DependencyHandler.axd:2
    w DependencyHandler.axd:2
    d

I have asked the hosting company to set folder permission as the following:

http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/reference/files-and-folders/permissions

I started with Umbraco 4.7.0.378 and the issue was found, so I made a clean installation but the problems still there with empty clean website, so I upgraded to Umbraco 4.11.6

and I used the uGoLive Checklist

the only error was

Access to the path 'C:\hshome\myusername\mydomain.com\00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000.tmp' is denied.

Is the error caused by some wrong setup on the hosting side? what is the problem so I can tell the support to fix it?

Any help is appreciated

Thank you very much

• BJ Patel 80 posts 206 karma points
    Jun 25, 2013 @ 15:11
    BJ Patel

I was having the same issue and found that the issue was in following two folder.

> umbraco

> umbraco_Client

So I have replaced both folder from fresh download umbraco. and it start working :) 

• Mpumzi Gedeni 4 posts 24 karma points
    Jun 29, 2015 @ 09:42
    Mpumzi Gedeni

Had the same issue and this is how I resolved it. Clicked on "Content" then , clicked on "Last Edits" click on any displayed child node (Somehow it fails to rectify the issue when using home node).

1. Go to settings, find the template used by the selected node comment out any field or macro and save the template.

2. Save and publish the node and click on "Link to document" on properties of the node.

This should fix the issue. After this you can just uncomment the field or macro on the template and save the template.

I resolved this issue by sheer luck.

• Jan Hansen 20 posts 50 karma points
    Sep 11, 2015 @ 23:21
    Jan Hansen

Hi!

I have this problem too (v6.2.5) and noticed that the call to treeclientservice.asmx failed with a 500 error.

After disabling CustomErrors in Web.Config I got this stacktrace:

[NotSupportedException: The type System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[[System.String, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089],[System.String, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]] is not supported because it implements IDictionary.]
       System.Xml.Serialization.TypeScope.GetDefaultIndexer(Type type, String memberInfo) +7412312
       System.Xml.Serialization.TypeScope.GetCollectionElementType(Type type, String memberInfo) +40
       System.Xml.Serialization.TypeScope.ImportTypeDesc(Type type, MemberInfo memberInfo, Boolean directReference) +1169
       System.Xml.Serialization.TypeScope.GetTypeDesc(Type type, MemberInfo source, Boolean directReference, Boolean throwOnError) +263
       System.Xml.Serialization.XmlReflectionImporter.ImportMemberMapping(XmlReflectionMember xmlReflectionMember, String ns, XmlReflectionMember[] xmlReflectionMembers, Boolean rpc, Boolean openModel, RecursionLimiter limiter) +103
       System.Xml.Serialization.XmlReflectionImporter.ImportMembersMapping(XmlReflectionMember[] xmlReflectionMembers, String ns, Boolean hasWrapperElement, Boolean rpc, Boolean openModel, RecursionLimiter limiter) +452

[InvalidOperationException: There was an error reflecting &#39;GetInitAppTreeDataResult&#39;.]
       System.Xml.Serialization.XmlReflectionImporter.ImportMembersMapping(XmlReflectionMember[] xmlReflectionMembers, String ns, Boolean hasWrapperElement, Boolean rpc, Boolean openModel, RecursionLimiter limiter) +2303966
       System.Xml.Serialization.XmlReflectionImporter.ImportMembersMapping(String elementName, String ns, XmlReflectionMember[] members, Boolean hasWrapperElement, Boolean rpc, Boolean openModel, XmlMappingAccess access) +245
       System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapReflector.ImportMembersMapping(XmlReflectionImporter xmlImporter, SoapReflectionImporter soapImporter, Boolean serviceDefaultIsEncoded, Boolean rpc, SoapBindingUse use, SoapParameterStyle paramStyle, String elementName, String elementNamespace, Boolean nsIsDefault, XmlReflectionMember[] members, Boolean validate, Boolean openModel, String key, Boolean writeAccess) +465
       System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapReflector.ReflectMethod(LogicalMethodInfo methodInfo, Boolean client, XmlReflectionImporter xmlImporter, SoapReflectionImporter soapImporter, String defaultNs) +3270

[InvalidOperationException: Method TreeClientService.GetInitAppTreeData can not be reflected.]
       System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapReflector.ReflectMethod(LogicalMethodInfo methodInfo, Boolean client, XmlReflectionImporter xmlImporter, SoapReflectionImporter soapImporter, String defaultNs) +781856
       System.Web.Services.Description.SoapProtocolReflector.ReflectMethod() +188
       System.Web.Services.Description.ProtocolReflector.ReflectBinding(ReflectedBinding reflectedBinding) +1613
       System.Web.Services.Description.ProtocolReflector.Reflect() +705
       System.Web.Services.Description.ServiceDescriptionReflector.ReflectInternal(ProtocolReflector[] reflectors) +605
       System.Web.Services.Description.ServiceDescriptionReflector.Reflect(Type type, String url) +149
       System.Web.Services.Protocols.DocumentationServerType..ctor(Type type, String uri, Boolean excludeSchemeHostPortFromCachingKey) +293
       System.Web.Services.Protocols.DocumentationServerProtocol.Initialize() +484
       System.Web.Services.Protocols.ServerProtocolFactory.Create(Type type, HttpContext context, HttpRequest request, HttpResponse response, Boolean&amp; abortProcessing) +165

[InvalidOperationException: Unable to handle request.]
       System.Web.Services.Protocols.ServerProtocolFactory.Create(Type type, HttpContext context, HttpRequest request, HttpResponse response, Boolean&amp; abortProcessing) +747779
       System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebServiceHandlerFactory.CoreGetHandler(Type type, HttpContext context, HttpRequest request, HttpResponse response) +302

[InvalidOperationException: Failed to handle request.]
       System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebServiceHandlerFactory.CoreGetHandler(Type type, HttpContext context, HttpRequest request, HttpResponse response) +668798
       System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebServiceHandlerFactory.GetHandler(HttpContext context, String verb, String url, String filePath) +306
       System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory.GetHandler(HttpContext context, String requestType, String url, String pathTranslated) +89
       System.Web.MaterializeHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +516
       System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean&amp; completedSynchronously) +288

Does anyone know what to do about this? Is this a bug in Umbraco or a configurationerror on my behalf?

I copied the following folders from a fresh v6.2.5 download on top of my installation (as mentioned in another post):

• bin
    • umbraco
    • umbraco_client

I recycled the app pool and even restared IIS but nothing helps.

I am on a Windows 2008 R2 Server with IIS 7 and .NET 3.5,. 4 and 4.5 installed.

Hope someone is still monitoring this thread and has a solution to this.

Thanks in advance.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft