Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Christian Stenfors 80 posts 124 karma points
    Mar 21, 2013 @ 18:29
    Christian Stenfors

What is the limit of websites in one installation?

What's the maximum of sitets that could run on a single installation?

50? 500? 5000? 

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 21, 2013 @ 22:22
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Christian

I think that is a rather complex question.

There really is no maximum of nodes that can be handled in one instance. But Having many sites in one installation may not be the ideal approach. One of the major factors is your SQL server and how you build your Umbraco structure and of course that the web server has enough ressources to handle the amount of traffic you expect to receive. And obviously the more nodes you have in your installation the slower the backoffice will be.

It really depends on how you build and structure your site. How many pages will one of your websites consist of? The deeper your tree structure will be the slower the backoffice will perform.

Why do you want to have many sites in the same instance? If it's because you want to have several clients in the same instance I think you should consider having seperate instances.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

/Jan

• Christian Stenfors 80 posts 124 karma points
    Mar 21, 2013 @ 22:52
    Christian Stenfors

Hi Jan,

thank you for taking the time and giving me some aspects to consider.

Without sharing the hole idea of what i am working on, i am working on a project/a service that is a combination of a service and a website. Meaning that i deliver a service via a main site, and clients get a website as part of the service. And the service and the website share information.

So what i need to figure out is, can i run this solution on a single installation. I can accept that the requirements to the server, and SQL server would be high, most important is, if Umbraco can handle it. And if so, what the limit would be :)

/Christian

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft