Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Gerard 20 posts 77 karma points
    Mar 30, 2013 @ 22:53
    Gerard

Null-reference YSOD in RTE on some nodes (after affected by U4-1808)

I was affected by U4-1808, where images where changing in the RTE after saving.
    This was happening on Umbraco 6.0.3-build 8, running smoothly for some weeks.

To fix this issue i tried to upgrade to the latest version available now, replacing the necessary folders. This introduces a new problem: a lot of content with the RTE cannot be editted anymore, because of a YSOD (see below).

Strange thing is that this isn't happening on all content of the same documenttype. So it must be something within the data that is causing this issue. Any ideas? 

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.   bij umbraco.editorControls.tinyMCE3.webcontrol.TinyMCEWebControl.FormatMedia(String html)   bij umbraco.editorControls.tinyMCE3.webcontrol.TinyMCEWebControl.OnPreRender(EventArgs e)   bij System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()   bij System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()   bij System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()   bij System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()   bij System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()   bij System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()   bij System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()   bij System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()   bij System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()   bij System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()   bij System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()   bij System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()   bij System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)   bij System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)   bij System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)   bij System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)   bij System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()   bij System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)   bij System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()   bij System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Mar 31, 2013 @ 19:33
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Could you please post the log file from App_Data/logs right after this error occurs so we can see the actual line numbers? Make sure to set debug="true" in the compilation section of your web.config as well.

Thanks! 

Mar 31, 2013 @ 19:39
    Gerard

Thanks Sebastiaan, will do that later, because i've found out what is causing this YSOD issue: 

My Editor sometimes saved his images in the Media section as type "File". That was no problem in versions prior to this one. After updating to the current 6.0.3, my backend crashes on these documents, that is the RTE having an image that is of type "File" in de db  

I'm trying to fix this right now using SQL, and will then report more info and try to reproduce this with new media and a new document. 

Mar 31, 2013 @ 19:40
    Gerard

Hmm,  not as easy as i thought. I can change the Mediatype of the node, but am missing some of the needed properties like "width" then. Is there another solution without recreating the Media items? Is it possible to change the type in the backend?

Mar 31, 2013 @ 20:01
    Gerard

This is the trace with line numbers:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       umbraco.editorControls.tinyMCE3.webcontrol.TinyMCEWebControl.FormatMedia(String html) +1748
       umbraco.editorControls.tinyMCE3.webcontrol.TinyMCEWebControl.OnPreRender(EventArgs e) +227
       System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +112
       System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +221
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +4296
    Apr 02, 2013 @ 23:39
    Gerard

OK, back with the final results of this puzzle:

This problem can be reproduced by following these steps:

• Install a fresh 6.0.3 in an empty database. 
    • Install a starter kit (i picked the Business site with the Sweetas-skin)
    • Once installed, go to media. Create a new folder. 
    • Right click on the new folder, create a new media item. Defaults to "File".
    • Upload an image and save. Check Media type, it will be "File".
    • Goto Content, choose content with an RTE. (I picked "Another record year" under Company news, tab "Article")
    • Add new image (using the "insert/edit image" button) and choose the uploaded image "File".
    • Try to publish. YSOD.

Please let me know if i should make an issue of this one.

For anybody having this problem right now:

• Delete the "File" (image) in the Media-section. 
    • Empty the media-recycle bin.
    • Go back to Content en reload nodes.

I repaired my site by uploading the images that were uploaded before by my editor with type "File", now as type "image". After that, removed the "file" items, and changed the content to use the new imageitems. Still not sure if there was a better solution. 

• Soeren Sprogoe 575 posts 259 karma points
    Jun 28, 2013 @ 13:41
    Soeren Sprogoe

I'm experiencing this too on a v6.0.5.

Images are uploaded by drag'n'droping them to a folder in the Media section, and when I use them in the RTE it gives a YSOD on Save / Save & Publish.

The images are stored as type Image, and the way I fix this is by choosing "[X] Remove image", Save and then upload the image again.

/SoerenS

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft