Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Arpicheck 27 posts 77 karma points
    Apr 03, 2013 @ 15:27
    Arpicheck

Cache problems using 6.0.3

I'm using Umbraco 6.0.3 via web hosting provider, whereas my Umbraco instance is running on multiple IIS processes. My problem is, that when I'm publishing content on the live site, the result is confusing: new data appears, then disappears, contents are shown up randomly, so there is the possibility to loss data. Results of multiple people contributing on the same site are unpredictable.

Settings I'v made in umbracoSettings.config:

<XmlCacheEnabled>False</XmlCacheEnabled>

<ContinouslyUpdateXmlDiskCache>True</ContinouslyUpdateXmlDiskCache>

<XmlContentCheckForDiskChanges>True</XmlContentCheckForDiskChanges>

I got no knowledge, what servers are used to run my site.
    What can I do to have different IIS threads in sync while serving the site?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 03, 2013 @ 22:21
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Arpicheck

Is the site running on different application pools?

/Jan

Apr 04, 2013 @ 10:05
    Arpicheck

Hi Jan

As far as I know, processes serving the site are running in the same app pool.

Arpicheck

Apr 05, 2013 @ 10:17
    Arpicheck

The effect is reproduciable on a local site as well (Win7 ultimate / IIS 7.5.7600.16385):

In IIS, increase the "Maximum worker processes" to 5, for example.
    Now make changes on the admin interface. Even just using the admin interface, you will see your newly created items/types/anything appear/disappear. The same goes on with the fronted: Published pages are sometimes visible, sometimes not. It depends on which worker process is serving the contents. 

Apr 05, 2013 @ 10:33
    Arpicheck

May this have connection with sessions? Sessions are configured InProc by default...

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Apr 05, 2013 @ 10:42
    Dave Woestenborghs

By assigning multiple worker processes you are setting up a "web garden". This is not supported by Umbraco.

See these posts : 
    http://our.umbraco.org/forum/core/general/22383-Using-Umbraco-47X-in-an-IIS-web-garden
    http://our.umbraco.org/forum/getting-started/installing-umbraco/15368-Umbraco-in-web-garden

If performance is an issue you can always consider to set up a "web farm" and configure load balancing.

http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup/installing-umbraco-for-load-balanced-environments

The only thing you need is some way to sync your media files. I used this powershell script with success :
    http://edoxy.net/Blog/50-Umbraco-replication.html

Dave 

Apr 05, 2013 @ 10:48
    Arpicheck

Hi Dave

Thank you for your suggestions.

As I wrote in my first post, I'm using a hosting provider, not my own installation. The fact, that a provider is using multi process mode is something I can't change. Of course, I can pay for different packages. Because of this, I can't use powershell scripts either. 

Apr 05, 2013 @ 10:49
    Dave Woestenborghs

Maybe you contact your hosting provider and ask them to lower to worker processes for the app pool to one ?

Dave

Apr 05, 2013 @ 10:58
    Arpicheck

Yes, this is a solution, which as I mentioned above is accessible trough priced packeges. Or maybe I have to find another provider :)

But there is something I really can't understand: if this is because of caching in the backgroud, why I'm unable to turn off this behaviour?

Apr 05, 2013 @ 11:19
    Dave Woestenborghs

The problem is that each worker process will have it's own cache. So say you make a change in content on worker process 1. Only the cache of worker process 1 will be updated, all other 4 procesess will not know about the content change.

I still think the best solution is to contact your hosting provider and see if they can make the change.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft