Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Corey Sherman 55 posts 127 karma points
    Apr 15, 2013 @ 19:33
    Corey Sherman

HttpUnhandledException when trying to login to Umbraco

Currently using Umbraco 4.11.5.  Everything on the frontend of the site is working beautifully, but when I hit the backend and enter my username and password to log in to Umbraco, I get a generic YSOD.  In the logs, I'm getting the following exception:

2013-04-15 09:18:00,278 [5] ERROR Umbraco.Web.UmbracoApplication - [Thread 59] An unhandled exception occurred
    System.Web.HttpUnhandledException (0x80004005): Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown. ---> System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: source
    at System.Linq.Enumerable.SingleOrDefault[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 predicate)
    at umbraco.BusinessLogic.User.GetApplications()
    at umbraco.cms.presentation._umbraco.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
    at umbraco.BasePages.BasePage.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
    at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
    at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)
    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestWithNoAssert(HttpContext context)
    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
    at ASP.umbraco_umbraco_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) in c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\bb7d9f8d\ec101981\App_Web_umbraco.aspx.5f2dec3.cysjfarc.0.cs:line 0
    at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
    at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

I've been searching details of the exception with no luck of finding a solution.  Does anyone have any ideas?  I'm at a complete loss...

• Elmar Kaiser 7 posts 47 karma points
    Apr 16, 2013 @ 10:33
    Elmar Kaiser

Hi Corey,

Have you tried to create a completly new user and login with that new user at the backend? As i know (please correct me when i'am wrong) the "umbraco.BusinessLogic.User.GetApplications()" method (that is mentioned in the error message) returns a list of valid applications for this user from the database table "umbracoUser2app", which, in backend terms, are the sections. Was something unusual happen when you created your user?

Apr 16, 2013 @ 13:41
    Corey Sherman

The site has been up and running without any issues for close to a year now and nothing new has been installed or added on the backend in some time.  We have more than one user, both with the same access to Umbraco, and they are both getting the same error.  I will take a closer look at the table where the app list is stored to see if I can find anything out by looking at that, thanks for pointing me in that direction.

Apr 16, 2013 @ 16:09
    Elmar Kaiser

Hi Corey,

another possability is the caching. Have you cleared the browser cache, just in case?? (Just a quess) 

Apr 16, 2013 @ 16:32
    Elmar Kaiser

Hi Corey,

i forgot of course the server cache. Maybe a restart of the ApplicationPool accomblish this, if you can do this.

Apr 16, 2013 @ 23:13
    Corey Sherman

I cleared the local and server cache before posting, but I tried again anyway to no avail.  Also, nothing looks out of the ordinary in the umbracoUser2app table, any thoughts on what I should be looking for?

Apr 17, 2013 @ 14:17
    Corey Sherman

I cleared the local and server caches again, and upgraded the site to 4.11.6, hoping that maybe there was something out of whack in the umbraco site files, but alas, I'm still getting the generic server error right after entering a correct username and password, and this shows in the logs:

2013-04-17 05:12:46,691 [64] ERROR Umbraco.Web.UmbracoApplication - [Thread 62] An unhandled exception occurred
    System.Web.HttpUnhandledException (0x80004005): Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown. ---> System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: source
    at System.Linq.Enumerable.SingleOrDefault[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 predicate)
    at umbraco.BusinessLogic.User.GetApplications()
    at umbraco.cms.presentation._umbraco.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
    at umbraco.BasePages.BasePage.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
    at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
    at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)
    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestWithNoAssert(HttpContext context)
    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
    at ASP.umbraco_umbraco_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) in c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\bb7d9f8d\ec101981\App_Web_umbraco.aspx.5f2dec3.smdyi-yt.0.cs:line 0
    at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
    at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

I haven't installed any since this was last working, nor made any changes except updating some content.  I'm not sure what else to do at this point.  If anyone has any suggestions, I would certainly appreciate ti!

Apr 17, 2013 @ 15:06
    Elmar Kaiser

HI Corey,

when you upgraded to the Version 4.11.6 we can be sure that you don't working with a broken system (hopefully). My next idea is the ASP.NET temp cache. In your case you find it in "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\ ..." (For hole path look at the error message, the third line from the bottom). All the stuff in the bin and App_Code directory gets compiled into this directory, when the site will be accessed the first time. Usually this mechanism runs perfectly without maintenance but in rare cases something got stuck. Luckly in our environment just the developers sites had trouble with that, so i never had to clear this directory on a production machine. It should rebuild automaticly with the first access to the side. If you have the change to save the machine befor this, it will be a good idea. Maybe you find more information about clearing the temp directory on MSDN, just to be sure.

Apr 17, 2013 @ 15:35
    Corey Sherman

That's a good tip.  I'm checking with our host to see if they can do this for us.  I'll be sure to report back as soon as I find out the results.

Apr 17, 2013 @ 18:33
    Corey Sherman

Ok, I finally convinced my host to kill the Temporary ASP.NET Files for my website and that got us past the issue!  Thank you VERY much for your help, Elmar!

Apr 18, 2013 @ 07:11
    Elmar Kaiser

Cool, you are wellcome :-)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft