Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• bradykelly 4 posts 24 karma points
    Sep 17, 2009 @ 15:06
    bradykelly

Umbraco for Multiple, Unrelated Web Sites

I've been trying for some time to manage multiple domains and web sites under my main domain, bradykelly.net.  However, the biggest problem is that these are all individual apps, so URL rewriting is the order of the day, but it smells funny in my hosted environment.  My previous experience with a CMS taught me that I can much easier server content for multiple sites from one, united application.  I have decided on Umbraco to be that application.

What would be a good course of development for my initial requirements of low complecity it terms of content type etc. per site, but very high diversity regarding structure etc?  My first guess would be very broad and empty placeholders in the default.master template, which 'host' the nested master pages of each 'child' site, and each child site takes care of it's content pages.  I'm not really utilising Umbraco's potential yet, except for authorization, but at least I'm using it a bit, and have the potential to offer client sites all the sweeties Umbraco has should they want them.

• Chris Koiak 700 posts 2626 karma points
    Sep 17, 2009 @ 20:28
    Chris Koiak

Best approach would be to use 'manage hostnames' and build a content structure like

Content

-- Website 1

-- -- -- Homepage

-- -- -- Other Page

-- Website 2

-- -- --  Homepage

-- -- --  Other page

You would create a series of nested doctypes, that are unique per site. Therefore you can also have unique templates/masterpages.

• Ove Andersen 435 posts 1541 karma points c-trib
    Sep 18, 2009 @ 08:55
    Ove Andersen

Read this article in the wiki.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft