Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Darren 14 posts 34 karma points
    Jun 19, 2013 @ 17:04
    Darren

restoring database and webroot and cannot login

Hi

I had a database on one server that I have taken a back up, I have restored this database to my local development machine.

I also took a copy of the entire webroot and setup on my local machine.

I changed connection strings in the web.config.

the problem:

1 - I navigate to the front end of the site and it basically shows me the installation screen, as though its a new site. albeit it I check the database tables and there is content in them.

2- I try to login to the admin area and just get the red shaky boxes i.e. login failed. - again the the users table in SQL database, my username and password are there.

any ideas?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jun 19, 2013 @ 19:11
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Darren

What version of Umbraco is this? Since I don't know much about the instance and wether there have been upgrades or not I'm just thinking that perhaps the umbracoConfiguration status in web.config has a wrong value since it triggers the installation screen...

When you try to login are you then on a VPN connection? Or have you been playing around with dates on your local machine for some reason? That can mess up a cookie, which will then not allow you to login to Umbraco.

Have you also made sure it's not a typo or that the password has in fact not been changed for some reason?

Otherwise you should be able to go to the web.config file and change the password format from hashed to clear and then logon to the database and find your umbraco user and enter a new password in clear text. Once you have checked that everything works you should be able to change the web.config settings so that the password will once again be hashed.

Hope some of these pointers help.

/Jan

Jun 19, 2013 @ 20:49
    Darren

Hi

I am using  umbraco 4.11.1

when I try to login I am not on a VPN it is just a stand alone laptop that I am trying to get the site working on. as I say, I have simply taken a backup of the database from another server and restored it on my laptop and have taken the webroot from the server and put on my laptop. changed the SQL connection string in the web.config and thats it.

what values in the web.config should I be checking? the only one I have changed is the details in this connectionstring

<!--<add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="server=\SQLEXPRESS;database=shopumbraco;user id=sa;password=sa" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>-->

I have changed the password in the database but still just get the red shaky boxes.

Jun 19, 2013 @ 20:51
    Darren

forgot to mention i also changed this in the app settings file

<add key="umbracoDbDSN" value="server=\SQLEXPRESS;database=shopumbraco;user id=sa;password=sa" />

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft