Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Rolf Johansson 53 posts 315 karma points
    Jul 10, 2013 @ 15:03
    Rolf Johansson

Will Xml Diskcache work when losing Database connection?

I have a scenario where our MS SQL Database Server gets patched and/or upgraded and Umbraco loses its connection with the db server (of course).

Is it my correct understanding that the site will still continue to work as long as the XML disk cache is not written to (ie no nodes are published or altered), as content is read from the xml file and/or macro caches?

There will still be db errors from Umbraco's point of view for doing queries like updating the timeout for logged in editors in Backoffice, but will the whole "no db connection" for a while in Umbraco affect the public site?

• Stefan Kip 1614 posts 4131 karma points c-trib
    Jul 10, 2013 @ 15:21
    Stefan Kip

Depends if everything you need in your site has been cached. The main things are:
    - Domains (for hostname lookups, should get cached)
    - Nodes (umbraco.config in-memory)

Jul 10, 2013 @ 15:39
    Rolf Johansson

Yes, from what I can see the whole site contents is cached in umbraco.config.
    I'm not sure about the domain cache, though. Do you mean the host binding in Umbraco?

But still, as long as nothing changes in the db the umbraco.config won't get rewritten, right?
    Except if I do a "Republish entire site".

Jul 10, 2013 @ 15:42
    Stefan Kip

No I don't mean file cache, but in-memory cache. The website uses memory (RAM), where Umbraco stores data like the Domains and Nodes. The best way to find out what works and what does not, is by creating a two simple 'websites' in one umbraco installation with unique hostnames bound to them.

Request both websites and kill the SQL connection and see if it's still working.

Jul 10, 2013 @ 15:49
    Rolf Johansson

Ah, yes. I see what you mean. Well, killing the SQL connection is a bit trickier. I can't change the key in web.config because then the app pool recycles, I have to find another way to stop the db (I'm not in control of that server).

So, Umbraco reads the umbraco.config XML and stores it in RAM, or how does it work?

Jul 10, 2013 @ 16:40
    Stefan Kip

"So, Umbraco reads the umbraco.config XML and stores it in RAM, or how does it work?"

Yes

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft