Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Scott Robinson 54 posts 75 karma points
    Jul 19, 2013 @ 15:04
    Scott Robinson

Member landing page defined by backoffice. Content picker?

Hi,

I'm working on a site that uses membership within umbraco. I need to be able to define the landing page that a user is redirected to once logged in. I assumed that it would be best if that definition happens within the member profile but out the box it doesn't have what I need. So my question is:

1. Is the member profile the best place to store this information

2. How do Iadd a content picker to the user profile set-up screen. I can find instructions for adding 'surname' for example but not anyhting else. Is this possible?

Thanks for any assistance

Scott

• Kevin Jump 2310 posts 14695 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Jul 19, 2013 @ 20:44
    Kevin Jump

Hi

1 putting the value against the member seems to make sense. - but from a administration point of view it does depend on how many diffrent landing pages you might have. if you have lots of members but only a few landing pages, a way of associating them with groups might be simpler (because you only need to change it once for a group of users) - that said i don't think you can put values against groups, you would have to bake the logic into the site somehow

2. you can add the value to the member in the same way as adding surname, 

1. on the member type, go to generic properties tab
    2. click here to add new property
    3. give it a name / alias
    4. select content picker from the type
    5. click save
    when you pick content the ID for the the cotent node will be stored against hte user . you should be able to get this property from the membership type when the user logs on. 

• Kevin Jump 2310 posts 14695 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Jul 19, 2013 @ 20:46
    Kevin Jump

groups: (split as this is an alternative way)

if you wanted to do this via groups the easy way would be to create a group name structure with the same name as your landing page (i.e Home_GroupA) then at logon get the groups the user is part of find the group beinging HOME_ then take the other bit to make the URL (i.e http://site.com/GroupA) this would then just be some string manipulation.

obvisouly you are open to your page names being wrong, but it would make managing lots of users with one page easier. 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft