Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• dillorscroft 198 posts 192 karma points
    Jul 22, 2013 @ 17:06
    dillorscroft

Umbraco V6, multiple developers and TeamCity.

Hi,

Just wondered what people's experience was of using Umbraco in a team environment for development?   We happily create MVC sites using, code-forst and migrations etc in a team, dev, UAT and production setup using TeamCity but Umbraco seems centric to one developer.

I anticipate some people have overcoeme the issues sucesfully and I just wondered how you did it?

At the moment we have one centralised database and the devs push code into a shared git repository as new features are added.

I've finally got MS Deploy to work correctly and the sites are happily deploying but interested to see other peoples experience.

Matt

• Anthony Dang 1404 posts 2558 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Jul 22, 2013 @ 18:51
    Anthony Dang

Our setup...

A single dev db. Each developer connects to it. This is the db on our dev server, so deploy to dev is just a code deploy. 

We check in our code and Team City builds and deploys it.

Deploy to staging (UAT) can be fiddly...

We use redgate to get the first full deploy. After that it really depends on what we need to deploy.

uSync automatically takes care of all doctype changes, macros, datatypes, media types.

Content is done via packing or courier - choose your poison. We trialled the automated courier console once. It seemed to work. Although courier clutters your repo with versions.

Media is normally copy and paste. It's worth noting that we don't store media in our code repo. It's content. When we're developing, obviously there will be some real content that the client sends us. We normally push to staging as required. When the client has access to staging and is uploading content then it can become a bit hairy as you will be developing using out of date "test content".

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft