Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Chris Roberts 74 posts 106 karma points c-trib
    Aug 11, 2013 @ 12:34
    Chris Roberts

Problems with Membership

Hello,

I'm currently using Umbraco v6.1.3 and I'm trying to get the Membership system working with the ASP.NET SqlMembershipProvider and SqlRoleProvider classes.

I have installed the database tables and (I believe) setup the web.config correctly as most things appear to be working ok. I can create a new user in the Umbraco backoffice and I can also create a new Role (both of these are getting persisted to the ASP.NET SQL Tables).

However, I am having a few issues (described below).  I think these may be a mixture of bugs and me doing something wrong. If someone could give me some pointers, that'd be great.  If they're bugs - please let me know where's best to report them.

Thanks in advance...

1. When I attempt to add a role for a user in the Umbraco membership area and click 'Save', I get the following exception:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       umbraco.cms.presentation.members.EditMember.tmp_save(Object sender, EventArgs e) +604
       umbraco.cms.presentation.members.EditMember.MenuSaveClick(Object sender, ImageClickEventArgs e) +40
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.OnClick(ImageClickEventArgs e) +115
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +124
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +10
       System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +13
       System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +35
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1724

2. If I try and create a duplicate user, Umbraco doesn't appear to be handling the exception properly:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Error creating Member: InvalidPassword

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Exception: Error creating Member: InvalidPassword

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[Exception: Error creating Member: InvalidPassword]
       umbraco.memberTasks.Save() +914
       umbraco.presentation.create.dialogHandler_temp.Create(String NodeType, Int32 TypeId, Int32 NodeId, String Text) +585
       umbraco.cms.presentation.create.controls.member.sbmt_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) +385
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) +9552602
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +103
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +10
       System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +13
       System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +35
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1724

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.18045

3. The 'Member Search' button in Umbraco simply says 'Button' - shouldn't this say something like 'Search'?

• Christian Liebe-Harkort 56 posts 104 karma points
    Aug 21, 2013 @ 16:10
    Christian Liebe-Harkort

Hi Chris,

did you get this fixed?

I am getting exact the same error as you. I am using v6.1.3 and ASP.NET membership provider.

I get this error whenever I try to save a member (even without changing anything).

Everything else seems to work like:

Create / Delete Members in Back-end or code.
    Display members and and roles.
    In code I can add members to roles.

• Chris Roberts 74 posts 106 karma points c-trib
    Aug 21, 2013 @ 17:31
    Chris Roberts

Unfortunately we didn't. I guess if you're seeing the problem too it must be a problem in the product.

I'll try and submit it to the bug database (unless you get there first!)...

- Chris

• Christian Liebe-Harkort 56 posts 104 karma points
    Aug 22, 2013 @ 12:12
    Christian Liebe-Harkort

Hi Chris, I created a report: http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-2694

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft